Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Walsall 0-0 Crewe Alexandra

21 February 2023

Club News

Match Report: Walsall 0-0 Crewe Alexandra

21 February 2023

Walsall were held to their fifth consecutive draw after a stalemate against Crewe Alexandra at the Poundland Bescot Stadium.

Despite creating a number of chances, the Saddlers were left frustrated against a stubborn Crewe side.

Michael Flynn made two changes to the team that drew 1-1 with Newport County at the weekend.

Robbie Willmott and Taylor Allen both came into the starting XI in place of Joe Low and Liam Gordon.

The first clear cut chance of the game fell to the Saddlers after eight minutes when Donervon Daniels played the ball over the top and Isaac Hutchinson raced on to meet it and managed to get a shot away but his low strike was saved by the feet of James Beadle.

Hutchinson, looking for his second goal in as many games, tried his luck again 10 minutes later when he rifled in a shot from 30-yards but his low effort whistled past the post.

The 22-year-old was at the heart of all of Walsall’s opportunities in the first half an hour. On 26 minutes, he curled in a first time shot but it didn’t quite have enough purchase to find the bottom corner.

The Saddlers started to build momentum and came close again when Willmott crossed for Matt who hooked the ball goalwards but his attempt was pushed away by Beadle.

Walsall looked the more likely but the first half ended goalless.

Flynn made a change at half time as he introduced Andy Williams in place of Matt.

The Saddlers looked to get on the front in the second half. Tom Knowles drove inside before he unleashed a shot but his effort whistled past the post.

Moments later, Williams had a shot blocked before Hutchinson’s shot on the follow up was beaten away by Beadle as Flynn’s men upped the ante.

Douglas James-Taylor replaced Matty Stevens with just under 20 minutes to go as Flynn freshened Walsall’s attack in search of a goal.

The Saddlers continued to push but couldn’t find a way through.

It was the visitors who almost won the contest in added time though when a corner came in and the ball turned goalwards and it looked to be going in but for a fantastic acrobatic save by Owen Evans to keep it out.

In the end, both sides had to settle for a point.

Evans (GK), Knowles, White, Daniels, Monthé, Allen (Gordon 78’), Comley, Hutchinson, Willmott; Matt (Williams 45’), Stevens (James-Taylor 71’)
Subs: Riley, McEntee, Low, Songo’o

Attendance: 5,071 (350 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match