Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Alfreton Town 0-0 Walsall

5 December 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Alfreton Town 0-0 Walsall

5 December 2023

The Saddlers had to settle for a draw against Alfreton Town in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup after a stalemate at the Impact Arena.

It was the Saddlers who started the much brighter of the two sides and Mat Sadler’s side had the ball in the net after three minutes but referee Sam Allison believed that Freddie Draper had fouled Alfreton goalkeeper George Willis which allowed Ryan Stirk’s corner kick to go directly in.

Six minutes later and the Saddlers went close again, this time through Draper himself as he latched onto a long through ball but his low right-footed shot was well saved by Willis. 

The home side then went close themselves, three times in a matter of minutes as their long throws began to cause the Saddlers defence some problems. 

To begin with, a long throw from the left was glanced on at the near post and ran all the way through the bodies only for captain Donervon Daniels to clear it off the line. 

Just a minute later, a recycled throw was worked back to Dwayne Wiley to arrow a deep cross to the back for Town captain Shaun Brisley to run on to but his free header was straight at Jackson Smith.

Minutes after that Brisley chance, Smith was once again called into action as Wiley got up well from another long throw but the Saddlers stopper produced a fine diving save to keep out the header.

Shortly before the break, the Saddlers themselves went close to opening the scoring as a fierce cross into the danger area from David Okagbue was met by Stirk but his header was saved by Willis once more.

Into the second half and it took the Saddlers nine minutes to register another great effort on the Town goal. Great work from Ross Tierney allowed the midfielder to lay it back from Hutchinson but his low, powerful drive was once again saved superbly by Willis.

With just shy of 15 minutes left to play of the second half, Harry Perritt went close for the home side but his low effort stung the palms of the Smith in the Saddlers goal.

Both sides huffed and puffed in the closing stages to find that all-important winner but the contest remained level and both teams now face a replay next Tuesday at the Poundland Bescot Stadium, with Russell Martin's Southampton awaiting the winners in the next round.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match