Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Wrexham AFC 4-2 Walsall

15 August 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Wrexham AFC 4-2 Walsall

15 August 2023

Walsall suffered defeat on the road as two goals in each half saw Wrexham claim all three points.

Wrexham raced into a two goal lead with goals from Will Boyle and Ollie Palmer before the Saddlers halved the deficit with Chris Hussey’s first for the Club.

Jake Bickerstaff and Elliot Lee made sure of the points in the second half for Wrexham.

An Anthony Forde own goal in added time saw the visitors add a second but it was a nothing more than a consolation.

Mat Sadler named an unchanged team from Saturday’s victory over Stockport County.

Wrexham started strongly and caused problems with some dangerous balls into the box in the opening exchanges.

That early pressure produced a goal for the hosts after eight minutes when Luke Young’s cross was met by Boyle at the back post whose header looped over Owen Evans and into the net.

Walsall settled into the game after falling behind and their first attempt on goal came after 13 minutes when Freddie Draper latched onto the ball before he let fly with a shot from distance that was dipping but Ben Foster pushed it away.

Wrexham continued to look dangerous though and doubled their advantage on 20 minutes when Palmer looped the ball over Evans who was caught off his line with an exquisite volley from distance.

The Saddlers responded well to the second goal and pulled one back just four minutes later when a well worked corner saw Isaac Hutchinson play the ball into Draper who flicked it round to Hussey and the defender struck it first time and found the back of the net.

Walsall had a chance to equalise on 27 minutes when Joe Foulkes’ cross was met at the near post by Danny Johnson but his header flashed just wide of the target and there were no further goals in the first half.

The visitors came within a lick of paint of levelling just four minutes into the second half when Ryan Stirk struck a wonderful volley from 25-yards that bounced off the inside of the post. Donervon Daniels followed up on the rebound but Foster saved his effort.

Just as the Saddlers looked to be in the ascendency, Wrexham restored their two goal cushion when Jacob Mendy’s ball found Bickerstaff who took a touch on the turn and arrowed the ball into the goal.

Walsall again responded and came close when Donervon Daniels and Johnson both shot narrowly wide.

Sadler turned to his bench midway through the second half and made a triple substitution as he introduced Jamille Matt, Aramide Oteh and Ross Tierney in place of Draper, Stirk and Hussey.

The game was put out of Walsall’s reach once and for all when Foulkes’ poor clearance fell to Lee and he rifled the ball home from close range.

The Saddlers netted in injury time but it was a mere consolation and Wrexham claimed all three points at the STōK Cae Ras Stadium.


Evans; Foulkes, Williams, Daniels, Hussey (Tierney 68’), Gordon (Allen 83’); Hutchinson, McEntee, Stirk (Oteh 68’); Johnson, Draper (Matt 68’)

Subs: Smith, Riley, James-Taylor

Attendance: 10188 (1146 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match