Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Crewe Alexandra 2-2 Walsall

19 August 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Crewe Alexandra 2-2 Walsall

19 August 2023

The Saddlers threw away a two goal lead on the road as Crewe Alexandra snatched a point in the last minute of stoppage time to deny Mat Sadler’s side all three points at the Mornflake Stadium.

There was one change to the side that suffered defeat against Wrexham AFC on Tuesday night. Ross Tierney came into the starting XI and slotted into the midfield trio with Ryan Stirk and Isaac Hutchinson, whilst Oisin McEntee was redeployed in defence as Harry Williams came out of the eleven and was named amongst the substitutes.

It was the perfect start to the afternoon on the road for Sadler and his side as Freddie Draper opened the scoring after just 37 seconds. 

A loose ball found its way to Danny Johnson just inside the 18-yard box and his lobbed effort was clawed into the path of Draper by goalkeeper Harvey Davies and the loanee was on hand to tap the ball into an empty net. 

Johnson continued to be a threat throughout the first half and went close again on 18 minutes as Ross Tierney, who came into the side for Harvey Williams, threaded a neat ball through to the striker but his effort was well saved in the end by Davies. 

Just before the half an hour mark and the Saddlers doubled their lead through the excellent Hutchinson. 

The midfielder, who was a thorn in the side of the Railwaymen all afternoon, was in the right place at the right time on the edge of the box as the ball fell kindly for him to thunder it in off the post and into the opposing corner. 

It was nearly three for the Saddlers at the start of the second half as the ball dropped nicely for Johnson on the left of the area but his side footed shot was once again parried by Davies in the Alex goal.

Bang on the hour mark and the home side got themselves back in the game as Shilow Tracey played in Elliot Nevitt and the striker got goal side of Donervon Daniels and finished low across Owen Evans into the bottom corner.

There weren’t too many clear cut chances for either side as the clock ticked towards the 90 minute mark but the home side found their way back onto level terms in somewhat fortunate circumstances right at the death. 

Jack Powell hit a hopeful cross into the box and as bodies flew to get a telling touch on it, it evaded everyone and found its way into the far corner. 

That was the last of the action as Mat Sadler's side had to settle for a point.

Attendance: 4892 (1155 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match