Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Crawley Town 0-0 Walsall

29 April 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Crawley Town 0-0 Walsall

29 April 2023

Mat Sadler picked up his first point as interim Head Coach as Walsall played out a goalless draw away at Crawley Town.

It was a tight contest at the Broadfield Stadium but there weren’t too many clear cut opportunities as Crawley picked up the point they needed to mathematically secure their place in Sky Bet League Two next season.

Sadler made three changes to the team that suffered a 3-2 defeat at home to Salford City last time out.

Hayden White returned to the side after serving a three match ban while Conor Wilkinson and Matty Stevens were also restored to the starting XI.

Joe Riley and Jacob Maddox dropped to the bench but Jamille Matt missed out altogether through illness.  

The Saddlers had the first chance of the game as former Crawley loanee Isaac Hutchinson found Tom Knowles who arrowed in a shot that was initially saved before Wilkinson followed up on the rebound but his header was comfortably saved by Corey Addai.

Crawley’s first meaningful effort of the first half came after 25 minutes when Jack Powell tried to curl a free-kick into the bottom corner but his effort just whistled past the post.

Owen Evans, who was the Saddlers captain for the day, was called into action two minutes later when he had to tip James Tilley’s looping header over the bar.

The Saddlers ended the first half strongly and had a great opportunity on the stroke of half time when Hutchinson drifted inside from the left and unleashed a powerful shot from distance but Addai did well to beat it away.

There was a reshuffle at half-time as Sadler made two changes. Evans was forced off and replaced by Jackson Smith for his Walsall debut while Riley came on for White.

Both sides had early chances in the second half as Stevens rifled in a shot from a tight angle which was caught by Addai while Tilley’s effort was comfortably saved by Smith.

The hosts thought they opened the scoring on 56 minutes when Smith got in the way of Ashley Nadesan’s header but Crawley appealed as they felt the Saddlers stopper fumbled the ball over the line but the referee disagreed and no goal was awarded.

As the second half went on, the game seemed to fizzle out. Crawley knew a draw would be enough to ensure they remain in League Two and while the Saddlers enjoyed plenty of possession, they struggled to open up the Red Devils.

In the end, both teams settled for a point. 

Evans (Smith 45’); White (Riley 45’), Low, Monthé, Gordon; McEntee, Comley, Knowles, Hutchinson, Wilkinson; Stevens (Maher 90’)
Subs: Smith, Kinsella, Maddox, Songo’o

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match