Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Walsall 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

24 September 2022

Walsall suffered late heartbreak as Tranmere Rovers scored with the last kick of the game to snatch three points from the Poundland Bescot Stadium.

Substitute Elliott Nevitt prodded home the winner in a tight affair that saw few clear cut opportunities.

Michael Flynn made three changes from the team that started against Cheltenham Town in midweek.

Taylor Allen, Jacob Maddox and Danny Johnson came in from the off in place of Manny Monthé, Hayden White and Isaac Hutchinson.

The first half was a close affair as neither goalkeeper was tested.

Defences were on top but the Saddlers had a couple of sights at goal. Taylor Allen’s cross was met by Johnson who tried to hook it goalwards but his effort flew over the bar before Tom Knowles dragged a shot wide.

The opening 45 minutes ended goalless in a half of very few clear cut chances.

The visitors started the second half well and had a decent opportunity when Chris Merrie fed Josh Dacres-Cogley who made an overlapping run before he arrowed in a shot but it was straight at Owen Evans.

The Saddlers were dealt a blow on 54 minutes when Jack Earing was forced off with an injury and was replaced by Liam Gordon.

Flynn also introduced Brandon Comley for Andy Williams on 67 minutes as the Saddlers tried to wrestle control.

Gordon almost created an opening as his dangerous cross almost found Johnson but Dynel Simeu got a vital touch in the nick of time.

The Saddlers started to apply more pressure and came close when Allen met Knowles’ corner and nodded the ball goalwards and it looked to be heading in but Ross Doohan got across his line well and pushed the ball away with a strong hand.

Tranmere still carried a threat and had a decent opportunity through Kane Hemmings who rifled in a shot that hit the target but Evans beat it away.

Evans was again called into action when Jordan Turnbull towered over everyone and his looping header almost dropped in but the Saddlers stopper read it well and tipped it over the bar.

The Saddlers battled as they searched for a winner and had a glorious chance when the ball dropped to Maddox in the penalty area in stoppage time but he slashed at it and it went wide.

It was Micky Mellon’s side though who would have the final say with the last kick of the game when Kieron Morris’ shot was parried out to Nevitt who prodded home the winner.


Evans; Bennett, Daniels, P. Clarke, Allen; Kinsella, Maddox, Earing (Gordon 54’), Knowles (James-Taylor 88’); Williams (Comley 67’), Johnson
Subs: White, Monthé, James-Taylor, Cashman, Hutchinson


Attendance: 5845 (683 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match