Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Wycombe Wanderers 0-2 Walsall

5 November 2022

Match Reports

Match Report: Wycombe Wanderers 0-2 Walsall

5 November 2022

Walsall booked their place in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup with an outstanding performance against League One side Wycombe Wanderers.

Jacob Maddox opened the scoring in the first half and set up Isaac Hutchinson in the second half in what proved to be the clincher.

The Saddlers had Owen Evans to thank at 1-0 as the former Cheltenham Town stopper saved Brandon Hanlan’s penalty to keep Flynn’s side ahead.

Michael Flynn made one change to the team that started the 1-0 victory over Rochdale last Saturday, with Brandon Comley coming in in place of Liam Bennett.

Oisin McEntee was named in the squad for the first time since his arrival from Newcastle United after a lengthy spell on the sidelines with injury.

The first chance of the afternoon fell in favour of the hosts as Sam Vokes did well to flick the ball over Donervon Daniels before unleashing a fierce drive towards goal, but Owen Evans was on hand to get a fingertip to it and parry out for a corner, which ultimately came to nothing.

Walsall took control from there and had a good opportunity when Hutchinson let fly with a curled effort that just whistled over the bar.

The Saddlers came close to taking the lead on 26 minutes when Maddox was set free and he tried to arrow his shot into the far corner but Max Stryjek did really well to save with his feet.

Hutchinson was really influential in the first half and tested Stryjek with a low shot from distance but the Wycombe goalkeeper pushed his effort behind.

Flynn’s men kept coming forward. Hutchinson found Maddox on the left who played a low cross across goal that was met by Gordon but his shot on the slide missed the target.

The Saddlers finally got the goal that they were threatening when Gordon’s corner was volleyed in beautifully by Maddox for his second goal in as many away matches.

Wycombe had to improve in the second half and they were presented with an opportunity to equalise when they were awarded a penalty after Sullay Kaikai was tripped by Tom Knowles.

Hanlan stepped up but was denied by a fantastic save by Owen Evans.

It proved to be a pivotal moment as the Saddlers rallied and got their second when Maddox skipped towards the by-line and cut the ball back to Hutchinson who smashed the ball into the back of the net from close range.

The Chairboys applied pressure as they tried to get back into the game but Walsall held firm and were organised throughout.

It was a complete performance from the Saddlers who will now have an eye on Monday night’s second round draw.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match