Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FA Cup rewind: Three memorable round one ties

3 November 2022

Club News

FA Cup rewind: Three memorable round one ties

3 November 2022

As the Saddlers prepare to start their 2022/23 Emirates FA Cup campaign, we take a look back at some of our first-round ties over recent years.

Walsall 3-2 Coventry – November 2018

Walsall’s 2018/19 FA Cup campaign got off to an exciting start as they edged a five-goal thriller against Coventry City.

The Saddlers raced into a two-goal lead when Zeli Ismail’s clever backheel found Andy Cook who stabbed home from six yards before Josh Ginnelly prodded home on 28 minutes.

City pulled one back five minutes later through Jonson Clarke-Harris and completed the comeback 11 minutes into the second half when Luke Thomas’ 20-yard strike found the back of the net.

Walsall rallied and and regained the lead on 77 minutes when Liam Kinsella slotted the ball through to Nicky Devlin who smashed the ball into the net and the Saddlers progressed to round two.

Dean Keates' side would go on to beat Sunderland in a replay before losing to then Championship side Bolton Wanderers in round three.


Walsall 3-0 Shrewsbury – November 2013

Craig Westcarr scored a brace as the Saddlers breezed past Shrewsbury Town in their round one encounter in November 2013.

The former Nottingham Forest forward poked home after 29 minutes to open the scoring and was alert in the second half to pounce on a loose ball after Chris Weale made a save.

Westcarr was involved in Walsall’s third as he teed up Romaine Sawyers who unleashed a firecracker from 20-yards that flew into the top corner to round off a fine afternoon in some style.


Walsall 3-2 Exeter – November 2011

After a 1-1 draw at St James’ Park, Walsall and Exeter City met at the Poundland Bescot Stadium for a first round replay in 2011.

Exeter opened the scoring through Richard Logan but the Saddlers turned the game around as Jon Macken and Alex Nicholls scored quickfire goals.

The Grecians fought back though and Elliott Frear equalised with a deflected shot on 77 minutes.

That took the game to extra-time where George Bowerman took centre stage and had the final say and the Saddlers progressed to round two after 210 minutes of football between the two teams.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match