Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Northampton Town 1-1 Walsall

1 March 2022

Match Reports

Match Report: Northampton Town 1-1 Walsall

1 March 2022

Walsall came from behind to earn a valuable point against high-flying Northampton Town at Sixfields.

The Saddlers fell behind after just four minutes through Mitch Pinnock but the visitors improved in the second half and Conor Wilkinson equalised early in the second half in what was an entertaining affair. 

Michael Flynn named an unchanged team after Saturday’s impressive victory over Hartlepool United. 

The hosts got off to a great start and opened the scoring when Pinnock pounced on a poor clearance from Carl Rushworth and fended off pressure from Jack Earing before he applied a smart finish. 

Walsall responded well to falling behind and created a handful of chances. Their first on target came when the ball fell to Joss Labadie about 20 yards out and he let fly with a powerful drive but Liam Roberts did well to push his effort away.

Northampton continued to carry a threat in the first half though and came close to a second when Louis Appere poked the ball inches wide of the post. 

Sam Hoskins also tested Rushworth on 26 minutes when he whipped in a shot but the Saddlers stopper got a good hand to it. 

The Saddlers had to patiently work their way into Northampton territory but found more joy towards the end of the half. 

Wilkinson came close with a dipping shot that just dropped over the bar but that proved the be the final attempt of the opening 45 minutes and the Cobblers went into the half time interval with the lead. 

The Saddlers got off to the perfect start in the second half and were level within the first five minutes of the restart when Emmanuel Osadebe’s delivery was met by George Miller who then teed up Wilkinson. The forward took a touch before he drilled the ball into the net for his seventh of the campaign. 

Wilkinson almost doubled his tally 13 minutes later when he met Earing’s short corner and hooked the ball goal wards but he just missed the target. 

Flynn made his first change on 66 minutes as he introduced Devante Rodney in place of Miller. 

Lee Tomlin also came on as he replaced Wilkinson for the final 15 minutes. 

The Saddlers were on top for the majority of the second half but couldn’t find a way through a stubborn Northampton defence. 

It was the Cobblers though who came close to finding a late winner when Hoskins’ header cannoned off the post in injury time. 

In the end, both teams had to settle for a point. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match