Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bristol Rovers 1-0 Walsall

29 January 2022

Match Reports

Match Report: Bristol Rovers 1-0 Walsall

29 January 2022

A late goal from Aaron Collins saw Walsall fall to defeat against Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Stadium.

There was little between the two teams but Luca Hoole’s red card late in the first half looked to have swung the game in favour of the Saddlers. 

It remained a tight affair in the second half but Rovers snatched a late winner after a mix up at the back allowed Collins to nod the ball into the back of the net with 90 minutes on the clock. 

Matt Taylor made two changes to the team that lost to Bradford City on Tuesday. 

New signing Reece Devine came in for his debut in place of Zak Mills while Rollin Menayese returned from his suspension to replace Tom Leak who dropped to the bench. 

After a relatively quiet start to the game, it was the hosts who created the first opening when Luke Thomas bent in a shot that was pushed aside by Carl Rushworth. The ball span back towards goal but the Saddlers stopper managed to gather it as the wind looked to be causing problems. 

Walsall’s most promising opening of the half came when Brendan Kiernan got the better of his man down the right and delivered a decent cross but it was turned behind and the resulting corner came to nothing. 

There was drama on 38 minutes when Rovers were reduced to 10-men when Luca Hoole received a second yellow card for two incidents in quick succession. The first was for protesting and the second for a challenge on Devine. 

Walsall enjoyed a good spell of possession towards the end of the half but the two teams went in level at the break. 

The Saddlers went in search of a goal as they looked to make their man advantage count. Conor Wilkinson had two decent chances - the first hit the side netting and his second just moments later was stopped by James Belshaw. 

Matt Taylor made a double substitution on 69 minutes as he introduced Tyrese Shade and Emmanuel Osadebe in place of Kiernan and Joss Labadie, who were both on yellow cards. 

The hosts battled well with 10-men and had a good little spell of pressure, which the Saddlers dealt with. 

The Saddlers regrouped and had a decent chance when Osadebe clipped the ball over to George Miller who headed goal wards but his effort went over the bar. 

The game looked to be heading to a stalemate but a mix up in the Walsall defence allowed Collins the chance to head home from close range in the 90th minute and Rovers claimed all three points. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match