Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Walsall 1-2 Grimsby Town

27 August 2022

Match Reports

Match Report: Walsall 1-2 Grimsby Town

27 August 2022

Walsall fell to their first home league defeat at the Poundland Bescot Stadium this season as Grimsby Town came from behind to claim three points.

The Saddlers opened the scoring on four minutes when Danny Johnson netted his seventh of the campaign.

The Mariners fought back in the second half and Harry Clifton’s brace saw them complete the turnaround.

Michael Flynn made four changes to the team that started against Charlton Athletic on Tuesday night.

Liam Kinsella, Peter Clarke, Brandon Comley and Danny Johnson came back into the starting XI with Andy Williams, Isaac Hutchinson, Ronan Maher and Timmy Abraham dropping to the bench.

Jack Earing retained his place in the starting XI for his first league start of the campaign.

The Saddlers got off to a lightning start and took the lead after just four minutes when Liam Bennett drove forward and found Tom Knowles who delivered a dangerous cross that was met by Johnson who stabbed home from close range.

Grimsby's first chance of the afternoon came after nine minutes when a deep cross was met by Harry Clifton at the back post but his header did little to trouble Owen Evans.

The Mariners enjoyed a lot more possession as the half went on but rarely threatened Evans’ goal.

Walsall had a great chance to double their lead on 25 minutes when Earing won the ball in midfield, burst forward and slipped Knowles through one-on-one but his powerful strike just missed the target.

Knowles looked dangerous for the hosts and had another good opportunity 10 minutes later when he cut inside and curled in a shot that took a deflection as it flew towards goal and Max Crocombe did well to tip the ball over.

The Saddlers were dealt a blow just after the hour mark as Donervon Daniels was forced off with an injury and was replaced by Hayden White.

Grimsby enjoyed a sustained spell of possession midway through the second half but Walsall stood firm.

Knowles had another brilliant opportunity to give the hosts breathing space when Earing picked him out with an excellent through ball to set him free but his arrowed shot was saved by Crocombe with his legs.

Flynn made a tactical change on 76 minutes as he replaced Earing with Andy Williams.

Moments after the change, Grimsby equalised when Aribim Pepple crossed for Clifton who guided the ball into the net with a fine touch.

The Mariners had their tails up and turned the game on its head after a scramble in the Saddlers area saw the ball fall to Clifton who steered the ball into the net.

Flynn rolled the dice and introduced Hutchinson, Maher and Abraham in an attempt to get a goal back.

The Saddlers pushed but couldn’t find a late leveller and Grimsby held out to claim all three points.


Evans; Bennett, Daniels (White), P. Clarke, Monthé, Allen (Abraham); Kinsella, Comley (Hutchinson), Earing (Williams); Knowles (Maher), Johnson
Subs: Przybek (GK), James-Taylor


Attendance: 5644

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match