Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Leyton Orient 0-0 Walsall

16 October 2021

Match Reports

Match Report: Leyton Orient 0-0 Walsall

16 October 2021

Walsall came away with a deserved point after a goalless draw away at Leyton Orient.

The Saddlers enjoyed plenty of possession and created a handful of openings and will be slightly frustrated not to have taken all three points from the Breyer Group Stadium. 

Matt Taylor made one change to the team that started against Salford City last weekend. 

Carl Rushworth came back into the starting XI after returning from international duty while last Saturday’s match-winner Conor Wilkinson remained on the bench. 

The early chances fell to the hosts as Hector Kyprianou rifled in a shot from distance before Harry Smith tried his luck with an acrobatic overhead kick that just missed the target. 

Walsall’s first chance came after 17 minutes when Hayden White floated the ball into the box and it was met by George Miller who guided the ball goal wards with his head but it was straight at Lawrence Vigouroux. 

The Saddlers really grew into the half and had another chance on 28 minutes when Earing delivered a corner that was met by Rollin Menayese but he couldn’t direct his header on target. 

The first half ended goalless with neither keeper being tested. 

Walsall started the second half well and had a good opportunity on 52 minutes after a nice move involving Emmanuel Osadebe and Brendan Kiernan ended in Miller firing in a shot which was blocked but fell to Joss Labadie who tried to bend one into the top corner but Shad Ojie got an important block. 

The Saddlers played some lovely football in the second half and their link up play was starting to cause Orient problems. 

Just before the hour mark, Manny Monthe picked out Phillips who volleyed a ball across the box that just evaded the on-rushing Miller who was eventually flagged offside. 

Taylor made his first change moments later as Tyrese Shade replaced the hard-working Phillips. His second followed a few minutes later as Wilkinson entered the fray to face his former club. 

Wilkinson almost made an immediate impact as he played a dangerous ball across the box looking for Miller but Vigouroux read it well and got there before the striker. 

He came close on 71 minutes with a powerful low drive that brought a good save out of Vigouroux.

Walsall’s momentum slowed slightly as Jackett introduced Dan Kemp to try and swing the pendulum in their favour. 

The Saddlers continued to move the ball well though, particularly when Shade shifted it past two defenders and got a cross in but it was too powerful for Wilkinson as it just evaded him. 

In the end, both teams had to settle for a draw that saw Taylor’s men stretch their unbeaten run to four in all competitions.  

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match