Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Southend United 0-0 Walsall

23 March 2021

Match Reports

Match Report: Southend United 0-0 Walsall

23 March 2021

Walsall were held to a frustrating goalless draw against 10-man Southend United at Roots Hall.

Both sides struggled to create opportunities as the Saddlers struggled to capitalise on Sam Hart’s red card in the second half.

Brian Dutton made two changes to the team that lost to Bolton Wanderers.

Tom Leak was handed his senior debut as he replaced the suspended Hayden White while Stuart Sinclair replaced Sam Perry in the starting XI.

Both teams tried to find their feet in the opening exchanges but neither side got an early foothold.

The first big chance of the game fell to the Saddlers when Cameron Norman’s delivery was turned goalwards by Caolan Lavery but former Walsall loanee Mark Oxley did well to save with his feet.

Both sides struggled to get a real grip of the game and clear cut opportunities were few and far between in the first half.

Southend’s best chance came through Timothee Dieng who headed Sam Hart’s corner onto the crossbar.

Emmanuel Osadebe looked to make things happen for the Saddlers and created a good opportunity for Josh Gordon with a lovely through ball but Gordon was just off balance as he took the shot on and it went wide as the first half ended goalless.

Dutton made a triple change at half time as he introduced Derick Osei Yaw, Callum Cockerill-Mollett and Wes McDonald in place of Caolan Lavery, Josh Gordon and Max Melbourne.

The hosts came out strong in the second half and had a handful of opportunities through Dieng, Ashley Nathaniel-George and Alan McCormack.

Walsall were presented a real opportunity on 67 minutes when Hart received a straight red card for a nasty challenge on Osei Yaw.

Dutton made two further changes as he brought on Sam Perry and Frank Vincent for Stuart Sinclair and Cameron Norman.

The Saddlers continued to be left frustrated as they struggled to stamp their authority on the game.

It was the 10 men of Southend who came closest to breaking the deadlock in stoppage time when John White’s strike forced Liam Roberts into a fine save low to his right and the game finished goalless.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match