Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Hartlepool 2-0 Walsall

21 August 2021

Match Reports

Match Report: Hartlepool 2-0 Walsall

21 August 2021

The Saddlers suffered defeat on the road against Hartlepool United as a goal in either half from Tyler Burey and Nicky Featherstone gave the home side all three points.

It was Matt Taylor’s side who started the much brighter of the two teams at Victoria Park. After just three minutes, Jack Earing picked the ball up on the edge of the area and he shifted the ball onto his left foot but his effort was inches wide of Ben Killip’s far post.

Moments later and there was another exciting and intricate bit of build-up play from the Saddlers down the right-hand side.

Hayden White clipped the ball in behind Zaine Francis-Angol and Kieran Phillips played a ball across the six-yard box but it was just too far in front of Brendan Kiernan who, if he had made contact with the ball, would have made it 1-0.

But the goal for the home side came after 22 minutes.

Burey picked the ball up 35-yards out from goal and as he turned, he knocked it past Ash Taylor and powered his way beyond the defender before emphatically finishing into the top corner across goalkeeper Carl Rushworth.

Taylor’s side nearly found an immediate response though. Kiernan looked to capitalise on a loose pass from goal scorer Burey as he drove at the heart of the United defence before crossing into Conor Wilkinson who powered his header towards the top corner but Killip made a superb save to tip the ball over the bar.

Into the second half and the home side picked up where the left off in the first half as a cross was delivered into the box and Will Goodwin got across A.Taylor but his header was well wide of the far post.

Just before the hour mark and the home side scored their second of the afternoon. A shot was struck from just outside the area and it was alleged to have struck A.Taylor on the arm from close distance and a spot kick was awarded.

From the resulting kick, Featherstone stepped up and comfortably slotted it home.

Following the second goal, substitute Emmanuel Osadebe tried to inject a bit of life into the Saddlers attack but his two efforts were unfortunately wide of the target.

And at 2-0, the home side continued to defend with experience and resoluteness, going on to see the game out comfortably.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match