Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Walsall 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday (2-4 pens)

5 September 2020

Match Reports

Walsall 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday (2-4 pens)

5 September 2020

Walsall bowed out of the Carabao Cup with a penalty shooutout defeat to Championship side Sheffield Wednesday.

The Saddlers more than matched their opponents throughout the game but just fell short in the shootout that saw Josh Gordon and Alfie Bates fail to convert while the Owls scored all four of their penalty kicks. 

Darrell Clarke made one change to the team that started against Burton Albion last week with Zak Jules coming in at left back in place of Callum Cockerill-Mollett. 

Caolan Lavery also started against the club where he began his career in English football. 

Walsall made a strong start and more than matched their Championship opponents in the opening exchanges. 

Cameron Norman had a chance nine minutes in but blazed a shot over after a corner was cleared out to him. 

There was little to report in terms of chances as both sides cancelled each other out in the first half. 

The first shot on target of the first half came after 44 minutes when Liam Kinsella played a lovely ball over the top to Josh Gordon who burst into the area and drilled in a shot but it was held by Cameron Dawson. 

Clarke’s side started the second half brightly and continue to make life difficult for the Owls. 

Walsall had a decent opportunity on 55 minutes when Gordon found Lavery in space with a lovely cross-field pass. The striker managed to get a shot away but it was blocked by Dominic Iorfa who got over quickly. 

Garry Monk’s side looked more threatening in the second half and had a couple of decent opportunities in quick succession. Kadeem Harris bent a shot over on the hour mark before substitute Matt Penney tested Liam Roberts three minutes with a powerful low drive but the Saddlers stopper pushed it behind.  

Gordon had a good opportunity on 78 minutes when Rory Holden’s corner found Gordon who tried to flick it goalwards with his head but it went just over the bar. 

Both sides cancelled each other out in the final 10 minutes and a penalty shootout was required to decide the outcome. 

The Saddlers were up first with Holden who found the net from the spot. 
Barry Bannan replied to level before Gordon 's penalty was saved. Windass then took advantage to give the visitors the lead. 
Both sides scored their next penalty but the decisive moment came when Bates fired his penalty against the bar. 

Izzy Brown then slotted home to send the Owls through.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match