Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bradford City 1-1 Walsall

20 October 2020

The Saddlers extended their unbeaten league run to a stunning 12 games as they walked away from Valley Parade with a point after George Nurses’ first half strike was cancelled out by a second half penalty kick from Billy Clarke.

In a first half that wasn’t littered with clear cut chances, it was the home side who went close first in the game through Harry Pritchard.

After just 10 minutes of the first half, a low ball was played across the box from the right and after it missed everyone in the area, the ball found its way out to Pritchard on the edge of the box but his effort was deflected over and nothing came from the resulting corner.

But 13 minutes after the first chance in the game, Darrell Clarke’s side broke the deadlock through a superb hit from Nurse.

The Bristol City loanee picked the ball up just inside the Bradford half before driving in-between two City midfielders advancing to 25-yards out before unleashing a rasping effort which crashed in off the far post.

Moments later and the Saddlers could have doubled their advantage when Rory Holden clipped a neat ball into the path of Elijah Adebayo but his powerful effort was expertly kept out by Richard O’Donnell in the Bradford goal.

Three minutes into the second half and Bradford went close when an in swinging corner was played all the way to the back post but defender Anthony O’Connor could only direct his downward header just wide of the post.

Just after the hour mark and there was an onslaught of chances from the home side with Clayton Donaldson, Lee Novak and Connor Wood all going close in quick succession.

To start with, Novak got in behind Dan Scarr before laying it back to his partner Donaldson but his curling effort was expertly saved by Liam Roberts.

From the resulting corner, O’Connor headed the ball back across goal but Novak’s header was straight at Roberts.

Just two minutes later and it was Wood who went close next. After more good work on the right, the ball was floated towards the back post but Wood could only direct his header wide of the near post.

With 15 minutes left to play, the home side got their reward for their second half pressure as Roberts came out for a cross but collided with Wood and referee Andy Haines pointed straight to the spot.

Substitute Clarke stepped up to send Roberts the wrong way and give the home side the equaliser.

Despite a late onslaught from the home side, the Saddlers held on for another draw in the league.

Advertisement block