Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Carlisle 2-1 Walsall

25 January 2020

Match Reports

Report: Carlisle 2-1 Walsall

25 January 2020

Walsall suffered their second successive away defeat on a frustrating afternoon against Carlisle United.

Chris Beech’s side marched into a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Nick Anderson and Ryan Loft. 

Walsall pulled one back early in the second half through Mat Sadler but they were unable to find an equaliser as Carlisle claimed the three points. 

Darrell Clarke made two changes to the team that beat Crawley Town last week. 

Cameron Pring returned from injury in place of Cameron Norman while Nathan Sheron came in for his Walsall debut. Caolan Lavery dropped to the bench.

The Saddlers made a bright start and saw a lot of the ball in the opening 15 minutes but failed to create any clear cut opportunities. 

It was the hosts who took the lead though when the Saddlers failed to clear a free-kick and Anderson stabbed home from close range after 21 minutes. 

Walsall responded well to falling behind. Adebayo pounced when Adam Collin spilled Josh Gordon’s cross but he could only find the side netting. 

Collin then pulled off a double save moments later to deny Kinsella and then Gordon on the follow up. 

Despite dominating the majority of the first half, the Saddlers found themselves 2-0 down. Roberts made a fine save to deny Loft who was one on one but couldn’t deny him from the resulting corner on 42 minutes.

The Saddlers made the perfect start to the second half and brought themselves back into the game five minutes into hit. 

Rory Holden’s corner was met by Sadler whose towering header found the back of the net. 

Walsall struggled to kick on after their goal despite seeing a lot of the ball in what was a very stop-start second half. 

Carlisle had a decent chance on 69 minutes when the ball was played across the six-yard box and Loft diverted it goal wards but it was blocked by Dan Scarr. 

The Saddlers applied pressure late on but failed to test Collin and the Cumbrians saw out the victory. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match