Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Doncaster 3-1 Walsall

30 March 2019

Match Reports

Doncaster 3-1 Walsall

30 March 2019

The Saddlers were made to rue a slow start as two goals in the opening four minutes secured high-flying Doncaster Rovers all three points.

Goals from John Marquis and Mallik Wilks after just two and four minutes respectively put the home side in the driving seat and left Dean Keates’ side with little room for error in the rest of the game. 

After just 90 seconds the home side were awarded a penalty as captain George Dobson brought down Walks just inside the 18-yard box. 

Up stepped Marquis to send Liam Roberts the wrong way and to net his first goal in eight games.

Moments later and Wilks was involved again, this time turning from provider to finisher as he cut inside Luke Leahy to bend the ball into the far corner of Roberts’ net. 

Ten minutes later and the Saddlers got themselves back in the game through Josh Gordon. A right-wing Leahy corner caused pinball in the box and Gordon, who was in front of goalkeeper Marko Marosi, was able to poke the ball home from no more than two yards out. 

Six minutes before half-time, the home side restored their two-goal lead as Danny Andrew struck a free-kick from 25 yards which found the bottom corner of Roberts’ net. 

Just a minute later and the Saddlers could have got themselves back into the game once more.

An Ismail cross was cushioned back across goal and Gordon saw his sliced effort cleared off the line and the follow up from Isaiah Osbourne then cannoned back off the bar and the rebound was subsequently cleared by a Rovers defender. 

In the second half, the Saddlers threw everything they possibly could at the game with all four first-team strikers on the pitch, as Aramide Oteh, Morgan Ferrier and Andy Cook all came on from the bench. 

Within moments of being on the pitch, Cook was involved in the action as his knock-down fell to Blackett-Taylor but the on-loan winger's shot was turned around the post by Marosi. 

Despite the risk of being caught on the counter-attack, Keates’ side continued to go in search of a way back into the game but with no reward. 

With 12 minutes of normal time left to play, Blackett-Taylor worked his way into some space before setting up Gordon, only for the goalscorer to see his effort parried away by Marosi.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match