Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bolton 5-2 Walsall

5 January 2019

Match Reports

Bolton 5-2 Walsall

5 January 2019

The Saddlers bowed out of the FA Cup at the University of Bolton Stadium as the home side came from a goal behind to progress into the next round of the competition.

Second-half goals from Clayton Donaldson, an own goal from Jon Guthrie and a hat-trick from Josh Magennis cancelled out a first-half header from Andy Cook, with George Dobson’s deflected effort proving to be nothing more than a consolation goal.

With 19 minutes on the clock, the travelling fans were sent into raptures as new signing Matt Jarvis cut inside Pawel Olkowski and curled a cross to the back post where Cook got ahead of his man to glance the ball into the far corner. 

Just before the half-hour mark, the home side had their first chance of the match when Craig Noone worked himself some space on the edge of the box but his effort was always rising high over Roberts’ goal.

Bolton’s biggest chance in the first half came when Noone cut inside on his left foot, floating a cross to the back post but the on-rushing Luke Murphy was unable to direct his header past Roberts who was able to claim the ball comfortably. 

Donaldson, who was subbed on at half-time, almost made an instant impact as the home side changed formation to combat our style of play.

Following a short corner in the 58th minute, Donaldson poked the ball home from close range following a scramble in the six-yard box. 

Two minutes later and the Trotters had flipped the game on its head. Noone, who was lively throughout, curled another cross into the box and despite a fantastic save from Roberts, Magennis was able to tap the ball into an empty net. 

Wanderers added a third three minutes after the hour mark when Noone again whipped a ball into the box and there was nothing Guthrie could do as the ball bounced off his shin and went in.

Five minutes after Bolton added their third, it was our turn to have some good fortune as Jarvis picked out Dobson on the edge of the box and his shot deflected off Mark Beevers, wrong-footing Alnwick who was left helpless as the ball rolled into the empty net. 

With 10 minutes left to play, Bolton scored their fourth of the afternoon as a quick free-kick wasn’t dealt with and a cross to the near post found Magennis who headed past Roberts. 

As the clock ticked down, Wanderers put the game to bed as Magennis completed his hat-trick, following up his own shot which had initially hit the inside of the post before coming back out to him to score with the goal at his mercy.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match