Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Walsall 3-2 Chelsea Under-21s

3 December 2019

Club News

Match Report: Walsall 3-2 Chelsea Under-21s

3 December 2019

The Saddlers completed an outstanding turnaround in the first knockout stage of the Trophy as they came from two goals down to win 3-2 against a youthful Chelsea team.

It took the visitors just two minutes to break the deadlock as a long ball over the top of Callum Cockerill-Mollett was misjudged by Liam Roberts and Lamptey was able to tap the ball into an empty net. 

With 10 minutes played, the Saddlers were temporarily 10 men as Cockerill-Mollett hobbled off the pitch and the visitors made their advantage pay as Lamptey ran onto a low ball that was played into the box and finished first time past Roberts.

Moments later and Darrell Clarke’s side nearly found a way back into the game as good work from Wes McDonald enabled him to cross the ball into Rory Gaffney but his header was just over the bar. 

Still in the early stages of the first half, the visitors went close again, this time through Charlie Brown. Good work from Tino Anjorin allowed him to find Brown who turned and fired towards the top corner but his effort was just wide. 

Just minutes later and the lively visitors went close again as Brown returned the favour to Anjorin but Liam Kinsella was there with a last ditch tackle to deny Chelsea a third. 

Seven minutes into the second half and the Saddlers got themselves back into the game from the penalty spot. The dangerous Caolan Lavery placed the ball on the spot before firing it into the top corner.

With 20 minutes left to play the Saddlers had a chance to level things up. Lavery was find in space on the edge of the area and he was allowed to turn and shoot but his effort was just wide of the far post.

Minutes later and Walsall thought they had the equaliser through Gaffney only for the referee to rule the goal out for a foul. James Hardy chipped the ball to the back post and Gaffney bundled the ball home but was adjudged to have fouled his man in the process.

Three minutes after that disallowed goal and the Saddlers got their equaliser through McDonald. The winger went one on one with his full-back before going down the outside and unleashing a wicked shot across keeper Jamie Cumming which went in off the post.

In the third minute of injury time the Saddlers completed the remarkable turnaround as Gaffney played a delightful low cross into the box and Dan Scarr turned home from 12-yards with a smart half-volley on the turn!

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match