Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Walsall 1-3 Grimsby Tow

31 August 2019

Match Reports

Match Report: Walsall 1-3 Grimsby Tow

31 August 2019

Walsall suffered back-to-back defeats as Grimsby Town came from behind to win at the Banks’s Stadium.

Caolan Lavery gave the Saddlers an early lead but Elliott Whitehouse’s header and a second half brace from James Hanson secured the points for Michael Jolley’s side.

Darrell Clarke made four changes to the team that lost to Plymouth Argyle last week.

Cameron Pring came back into the side in place of Callum Cockerill-Mollett while Caolan Lavery, Rory Holden and James Hardy replaced Josh Gordon, Cameron Norman and Liam Kinsella.

There was also a welcome return to the bench for Danny Guthrie who hasn’t featured since the opening day.

The Saddlers got off to the perfect start and took the lead after just six minutes. Rory Holden’s low cross was met by Elijah Adebayo whose shot was beaten away by James McKeown but only as far as Lavery who applied the finish from close range.

Walsall were in no position to rest on their laurels and were given a warning when Matt Green forced Liam Roberts into a brilliant acrobatic save with a header.

The game settled after quite a fast start and there weren’t too many more opportunities. Rory Holden curled one over from a tight angle while Elliott Whitehouse’s looping header dropped just over the bar for the visitors.

Just as the game looked to be fading towards the break, the Mariners equalised through an Elliott Whitehouse header, which looked like it took a deflection on the way in, from a corner.

Walsall made a decent start to the second half with Holden coming close six minutes into the half but his curler was pushed away by McKeown.

Despite and encouraging start to the second half, it was the visitors who got their noses in front when Hanson powered in a header from close range on 68 minutes.

Darrell Clarke responded and brought on Wes McDonald and Danny Guthrie.

Moments later Josh Gordon, who was introduced earlier in the game, was denies by McKeown when he hooked Guthrie’s corner towards goal.

Minutes later, Grimsby were awarded a penalty after Cameron Pring’s challenge on Max Wright. Hanson stepped up and found the net from the spot to further extend the Mariners lead with nine minutes of normal time to go.

Grimsby saw the game out and Walsall now turn their attentions

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match