Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Young Reporter: Walsall 2-1 Coventry

10 December 2018

A last gasp win for Dean Keates’ side as two late goals from Luke Leahy secure the Saddlers all three points at the Banks's Stadium.

The game started at a high intensity with both teams being fervidly cheered on by their respective fans.

The Sky Blues had the better chances in the first 15 minutes with Liam Kelly’s shot and Tom Davies’ header glancing over the bar. 

However Coventry took the lead in the 17th minute with Thomas’ right footed strike beating Liam Roberts at his left hand post, prompting wild celebrations in the away stand.

Coventry continued to create chances after taking the lead with Thomas forcing a save out of Roberts although Walsall also had chances too with Andy Cook failing to latch onto a cross, forcing Lee Burge to come out of his area to collect.

Walsall fans were in uproar two minutes before half time as Cook is denied a one on one chance on goal after being brought down by a Sky Blue defender, prompting several shouts for a penalty from the Walsall fans. 

The official David Coote disagreed and the game stayed at 1-0.

There was a sense of a resurgence by Walsall at the start of the second half with Morgan Ferrier, Isaiah Osbourne and Russell Martin going close for the Saddlers.

In order to increase their attacking presence , Keates subbed on Josh Ginnelly and Zeli Ismail as Walsall continued to push for an equaliser.

However the Sky Blues had chances to put the game to bed with substitute Jordan Shipley and Amadou Bakayoko’s shots glancing wide of the post.

After Coventry missed chance after chance, Luke Leahy made the Sky Blues pay in the 90th minute after he headed the ball over Burge and into the net, thanks to Roberts’ great assist.

Both sets of fans continuously encouraged their teams as both sides pushed for a winner and Walsall were awarded a penalty in the 94th minute when Nicky Devlin was brought down by Junior Brown. 

Up stepped captain Leahy to calmly place the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

Coventry provided one more scare for the home side as Roberts was forced to tip the ball past the post, however Walsall hung on for their eighth win of the season and their first home since the 10th of November.

Advertisement block