Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Work Experience Match Report: Walsall 1-1 Blackpool

16 October 2017

Match Reports

Work Experience Match Report: Walsall 1-1 Blackpool

16 October 2017

Walsall claimed a point at the Banks's Stadium on Saturday afternoon after a 1-1 draw with Blackpool thanks to a stunning free-kick from Erhun Otzumer, making it four straight home league draws.

Blackpool created the first opening of the match as Clark Robertson got on the end of a Jay Spearing corner but he directed his header just wide of the target as the ball looked set to beat Mark Gillespie in the Saddlers goal.

It was the Seasiders who started the game on top and on nine minutes had another good opportunity from a corner as Spearing picked out Robertson once again but his header was comfortably kept out by Gillespie.

The Saddlers created their first opportunity on 15 minutes as good hold up play from Dan Agyei resulted in him pulling the ball back to Oztumer but he lashed his effort wide of the target.

However, the Saddlers did take the lead on 18 minutes as Otzumer scored with a superb free-kick as he curled the ball over the wall and into the top corner of the net past the despairing dive of Blackpool keeper Ryan Allsop after Colin Daniel had brought down Agyei.

In a frantic start Blackpool could have equalised a minute later as Kyle Vassell was played in but he saw his effort well saved by the legs of the onrushing Gillespie.

Otzumer was putting in a superb performance and he was inches away from doubling the home side's lead on 28 minutes as he cut inside from the left before firing his strike just wide of the upright.

Gillespie was then to keep the Saddlers' lead intact as he made yet another fine save on 35 minutes as Jimmy Ryan’s free-kick looked set to hit the roof of the net.

As Blackpool dominated the first half they should have levelled as former Aston Villa striker Nathan Delfouneso met a Daniel cross but he somehow flicked the ball over the top from point blank range on the stroke of half time.

It was the Seasiders who started the second half on top and should have equalised on 47 minutes as Delfouneso whipped in a cross for Vassell but he couldn’t get a connection on the ball with an empty net to aim at.

55 minutes had passed as Jon Whitney’s side created a good opening as Amadou Bakayoko linked up with Kieron Morris but the latter saw his low effort well blocked by Walsall born Curtis Tilt in the Blackpool midfield.

The Seasiders got a deserved equaliser on 64 minutes as Vassell played a superb pass into substitute Viv Solomon-Otabor before he fired a low shot through Gillespie and into the net.

As the game opened up the home side thought they regained their lead on 67 minutes as Otzumer beat the Blackpool defence before lashing his effort into the side netting.

Walsall were then to have a goal ruled out on 70 minutes as Jon Guthrie met a Joe Edwards cross perfectly to head into the net only to see it ruled out by referee Tom Nield for an infringement.

As the game started to slow down it was Walsall who created another good opening as Guthrie got on the end of a Otzumer free-kick before his effort across goal was well dealt with by Tilt.

Otzumer had another freekick opportunity from 25 yards out in the 89th minute but he fired it just over the crossbar in the final piece of action in an entertaining game.



Walsall: Gillespie, Edwards, Leahy, Guthrie, Devlin, Otzumer, Morris, Wilson, Bakayoko, K Roberts, Agyei.

Blackpool: Allsop, Roberston,Vassell, Ryan, Longstaff, Tilt,Turton, Daniel, Cooke, Delfouneso, Spearing.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match