Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Doncaster 0-3 Walsall

21 October 2017

Erhun Oztumer scored twice in five second-half minutes as the Saddlers eased to a professional win at newly-promoted Doncaster.

After a scoreless first half, the deadlock was broken on 62 minutes when Tyler Roberts teed up Oztumer to round keeper Ian Lawlor and slot home.

The diminutive playmaker rounded Lawlor again to make it 2-0 after great work from Joe Edwards, and substitute Kieron Morris fired home a third from Amadou Bakayoko’s pass.

Played in blustery conditions, the opening 45 minutes saw precious little goalmouth incident from either side.

The few half-chances that were created fell the way of the hosts, who started the day one point and one place behind the Saddlers.

Tommy Rowe’s 13th-minute drive looped up off Luke Leahy and was punched away by Mark Gillespie under pressure from Liam Mandeville, with the referee blowing for a free-kick.

The first attempt on target came two minutes later, Harry Toffolo with a tame far-post header from Niall Mason’s cross which was easy for Gillespie.

A stretching John Marquis then fired off target from Mason’s lofted pass and ex-Saddler Andy Butler nodded well wide from Toffolo’s deep corner.

Doncaster threatened again just past the half-hour as Ben Whiteman curled a right-footed effort wide from the edge of the box.

Rovers should have taken the lead before half-time when Rowe’s crisp 20-yard drive struck the base of the post and Marquis side-footed the rebound agonisingly wide with the goal at his mercy.

Goalmouth incident remained in short supply after the resumption, although Darren Ferguson’s side still looked the more dangerous of the two teams.

Liam Mandeville’s scuffed volley was held by Gillespie and Adam Chambers made a smart block to deny Rowe.

But it was the visitors who edged in front on 62 minutes when Tyler Roberts dispossessed Joe Wright on the byline and fed Oztumer, who rounded keeper Ian Lawlor and slotted in.

Five minutes later Jon Whitney’s men doubled the lead, Joe Edwards bursting forward from midfield and slipping in Oztumer, who rounded Lawlor again and fired into an unguarded goal.

Rovers had a chance to halve to deficit when Whiteman’s effort from just outside the area was tipped wide by Gillespie to his right.

But the Saddlers made sure of the win with ten minutes remaining as Amadou Bakayoko pounced on a Doncaster mistake and played the ball across for substitute Morris to steer home.

Morris could have made it 4-0 in added time but his first-time effort from Liam Kinsella’s pull-back sailed over the bar.


Team: Gillespie, Kinsella, Wilson, Guthrie, Leahy, Chambers, Oztumer, Cuvelier (Morris 67’), Edwards, Bakayoko, T Roberts (Agyei 85’).

Subs not used: L Roberts, Donnellan, Flanagan, Kouhyar, Ismail.

Attendance: 7,391 (329 Walsall supporters).

Advertisement block