Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Charlton v Walsall

11 March 2017

Match Reports

Charlton v Walsall

11 March 2017


Tony Watt’s second-half strike cancelled out Simeon Jackson’s first-half opener as the Saddlers drew with Charlton at The Valley. 

Jon Whitney’s men dominated the opening period, with Jackson twice going close but scoring on the stroke of half-time. 

The hosts improved after the break and equalised on 61 minutes when Watt drilled home. Both sides had chances to win it late on but honours finished even.

Targeting a first away win of 2017, the Saddlers sprang out of the traps with Addicks keeper Declan Rudd called upon inside two minutes to block Joe Edwards’ cross-shot with his legs. 

Walsall should have taken the lead moments later when Edwards crossed low to a stretching Jackson who could only divert the ball over the bar from close range. 

The Canada international almost made amends as his glancing header from Edwards’ corner was cleared off the line by Joe Aribo. 

Jon Whitney’s side had started with real attacking intent and continued to create chances. 

Erhun Oztumer’s cross narrowly evaded Jackson and was pushed behind by Rudd, Eoghan O’Connell headed Edwards’ corner over and Kieron Morris fired a left-footed 20-yarder wide via a deflection. 

After a lull in proceedings, the Saddlers scored the goal their first-half dominance deserved a minute before half-time. 

Jackson beat the offside trap to latch onto Morris’ hooked ball over the top and sprinted 40 yards before calmly finishing past Rudd with the outside of his right boot. 

Half-time: Charlton 0-1 Walsall

But all Walsall’s hard work was undone 16 minutes into the second period as Watt drilled a crisp right-footed shot into the bottom corner following a goalmouth scramble. 

Karl Robinson’s Addicks pressed for a second goal and twice went close to finding one around the 75th minute. 

First, Watt’s fierce far-post volley from Holmes’ free-kick was parried by Neil Etheridge, who then acrobatically tipped over Aribo’s deflected 20-yard curler. 

The visitors had a huge chance to go back in front minutes later when Oztumer’s pull-back found Amadou Bakayoko, unmarked ten yards out, but the striker side-footed wastefully wide. 

Charlton could have grabbed a winner in the closing stages but Etheridge did superbly to tip a deep Holmes cross – which was looping in - over the bar.  

Full-time: Charlton 1-1 Walsall

Team: Etheridge, O’Connor, O’Connell, Laird, McCarthy, Chambers, Osbourne, Morris (Dobson 68’), Edwards, Oztumer, Jackson (Bakayoko 63’). 

Subs not used: MacGillivray, Preston, Randall, Makris, Moussa. 

Attendance: 9,900 (316 Walsall supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match