Skip to main content Skip to site footer


20 February 2017



20 February 2017

Peters with the only goal...

A Cameron Peters goal in the second half was enough for Walsall to take all three points in a well fought battle with Bury at Ray Hall Lane. 

Graham Biggs’ Saddlers set up in a 3-5-2 system for the first time this season which was tinkered with throughout the game. 

It was a physical encounter with chances coming few and far between but the young Saddlers dug in and grinded out a result on a difficult pitch. 

The first Walsall effort on target came just over 15 minutes in from a set piece after Candlin won a free kick at the edge of the box. 

Shorrock stepped up and whipped the ball which was destined for the top corner but it was met with a great diving save from Bury keeper McCulloch. 

Just under 5 minutes later and it was Bury’s turn to test Ganley from a free kick but the Saddlers keeper produced a punching save which saw him fouled in the process. 

Shorrock stepped up for another Saddlers free kick but opted for the cross this time which Cockerill-Mollett headed over the onrushing keeper but over the bar too. 

Half-time: Walsall 0-0 Bury

10 minutes into the half and Bury carved out a chance as a corner eventually fell to Turner but he snatched at the half volley which went way over the bar. 

Walsall then had a great chance from a corner too as Shorrock’s in-swinging cross picks out Fisher for a free header but he is unable to keep the ball down. 

Then, just over 20 minutes from time, substitute Peters breaks the deadlock. 

The goal came from a Saddlers counter attack led by Hayles-Docherty who cleared a Bury corner from his own area and he eventually picked the ball back up in the final third. 

The forward then stung the palms of McCulloch but the keeper could only push it to Peters who pounced on the rebound to put the Saddlers 1-0 up. 

Walsall then had a couple of half chances to double their lead but they were unable to capitalise. 

Bury then attempted to throw everybody forward in the search of an equaliser but Graham Biggs’ lads stood firm and didn’t allow the away side any opportunities and held on to the three points. 

Full-time: Walsall 1-0 Bury

Team: Ganley, Mason (Peters 45’), Fisher (O’Sullivan 82’), Tonks, Kendrick, Cockerill-Mollett, Maddocks, Cela, Candlin (Cairns 58’), Hayles-Docherty, Shorrock. 

Subs not used: Caswell, Freemantle.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match