Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


5 September 2016

Club News


5 September 2016

Jake Jones' match report from a frustrating afternoon for the Saddlers...

Walsall were made to rue missed chances as Accrington Stanley came from behind to take all three points at a wet Ray Hall Lane. 

A Maddocks header in the first half gave Walsall an early lead but Stanley were able to turn the game on its head. 

The away side managed to equalise within two minutes courtesy of a Rathbone free kick. 

Stanley captain Ogel secured all the victory 15 minutes from time to snatch the points from under Walsall's nose. 

Walsall came out of the blocks firing and started the game on the front foot with chances coming from Peters and Maddocks. 

Shorrock did brilliantly to pick out Peters with a lobbed through ball but Peters volley flashed just wide of the goal. 

Maddocks then hit the post from an edge of the area shot which was eventually cleared for a corner. 

It was from this corner that Maddocks made it right at the second time of asking as he rose highest to head past Stanley keeper Little. 

However, for all the early dominance, Walsall gave away a soft equaliser two minutes later as a tricky free kick from Rathbone looped over Ganley. 

With the score now level, Walsall lost some of their early momentum and struggled to carve out clear cut chances. 

A Hayles-Docherty penalty shout was waved away and Peters was unable to find the target after he did brilliantly to spin away from the Stanley defence. 

HALF-TIME: Walsall 1-1 Accrington Stanley 

Walsall began the second half in a similar fashion to the first half as they had a few decent chances. 

Substitute Freemantle was unable to make the most of a free header and Hayles-Docherty tested the hands of Little after some good skill at the edge of the area. 

The best Saddlers chance of the second half fell to centre half Vann. 

Shorrock curled in a set piece from a crossing position and Vann latched on with a determined diving header which smashed against the crossbar to the relief of the away side. 

But 15 minutes from time, Stanley were able to capitalise on Walsall's missed chances. 

Ogel found himself in an advanced position from full back and hit a great strike past Ganley who was unable to get anything on the powerful effort. 

With the clock ticking, Neil Woods' men began an onslaught on the Accrington goal. 

However, the young Saddlers efforts to salvage at least a point came to no avail. 

Despite Walsall's possession and dominance, their failure to convert chances meant they had to settle with the sour taste of defeat. 

FULL-TIME: Walsall 1-2 Accrington Stanley 

TEAM: Ganley, Tonks, Cockerill-Mollet, Maddocks, Vann, Kendrick, Hayles-Docherty (Candlin 78'), Mason, Peters, Shorrock, O'Sullivan (Freemantle 46') 

Subs not used: Cairns, Friel, Perry

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match