Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 November 2016

Jason Demetriou with a last gasp winner in October 2015...

The Saddlers are back at the Banks’s this weekend as we take on Gillingham having just earned a hard fought point in Milton Keynes seven days ago.

Jon Whitney’s side currently sit 14th in League One having enjoyed a six game unbeaten run in the division.

Meanwhile, Gillingham recorded their first win in 8 league outings and sit in 17th position after their last gasp winner against Northampton Town last Saturday.

We don’t have to cast our minds too far back to remember a successful Saturday against the Gills.

The Kent side arrived at the Banks’s as the League’s early front runners with second placed Saddlers breathing down their neck.

A win would see Dean Smith’s side leapfrog our opponents into top spot. It didn’t take long for the visitors to take the lead as Doug Loft’s clever through ball found Cody McDonald who raced onto the pass and finish superbly past Neil Etheridge.

It was two just 15 minutes later. Bradley Dack twisted and turned his way into the box before being fouled by Paul Downing. The Gills star man dusted himself down and got up to confidently convert the spot kick.

However in the space of two minutes the game was tipped on its head when Kieron Morris smashed home from 25 yards before Milan Lalkovic’s tap in was enough to level the scores before half-time.

The momentum had swung in the Saddlers favour and it was the home side who were now pushing for a third.

There were chances at either end though heading into injury time and it looked as though the top two sides in League One were to share the spoils.

That was until Jason Demetriou found his way, undetected, deep inside Gillingham territory to lash home a last minute winner and send the Saddlers to the summit of the table.

 The 3-2 victory saw the Saddlers move up to first having already won nine games by November – while Gillingham’s six-game unbeaten run came to an end.

Advertisement block