Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 January 2016

We have already beaten Fleetwood, Chesterfield and Brentford...

The Saddlers are in the FA Cup fourth round for the first time in a decade. Here’s a reminder of how we got there…

7th November - Walsall 2-0 Fleetwood
George Evans scored his third goal in four matches as Walsall overcame League One rivals Fleetwood to reach the FA Cup second round. The Manchester City loanee fired the Saddlers ahead with a crisp low strike on 20 minutes. Jamille Matt, Nathan Pond and Declan McManus each went close for Fleetwood, but substitute Anthony Forde sealed Walsall’s win with a delightful curling finish in added time.

5th December - Chesterfield 1-1 Walsall
Walsall were forced to settle for an FA Cup second-round replay after being held by fellow League One side Chesterfield at a wind-swept Proact Stadium. The Saddlers took a first-half lead when Jason Demetriou’s cross deflected in off Spireites defender Richard Wood. But Chesterfield improved after the break, with captain Sam Morsy bundling home an 89th-minute equaliser to force a replay.

15th December – Walsall 0-0 Chesterfield (5-3 on pens) - Replay

Walsall booked an FA Cup third-round trip to former manager Dean Smith's Brentford after beating Chesterfield on penalties. Chances were at a premium in a tense 120 minutes, with Kieron Morris going closest for the hosts when he rattled the bar. The Saddlers converted all five spot-kicks in the subsequent shoot-out, with Paul Downing scoring the winning penalty after Chesterfield's Sam Morsy had fired over.

9th January - Brentford 0-1 Walsall
Sam Mantom’s superb first-half strike sent Walsall into the FA Cup fourth round at the expense of Dean Smith’s Brentford. The midfielder fired the Saddlers ahead on 34 minutes, with a curling left-footed shot into the bottom corner. Brentford bossed the second half but were constantly thwarted by the outstanding Neil Etheridge as the visitors held on to secure victory over their former boss.

Advertisement block