Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 February 2016

A goalless draw back in October...

Ahead of this weekend’s top-of-the-table clash against Wigan, we take a look back at the Saddlers’ last five matches against the Latics…

3rd October 2015 – Wigan 0-0 Walsall – League One

Walsall maintained their unbeaten away record in League One with an entertaining goalless draw at ten-man Wigan. The Latics dominated for an hour, with ex-Walsall striker Will Grigg spurning two gilt-edge close-range opportunities. Wigan were reduced to ten men on 69 minutes when captain Craig Morgan was sent off but the Saddlers were unable to capitalise on their man advantage.

28th February 2004 – Wigan 1-0 Walsall – First Division
Nathan Ellington scored the only goal as relegation-threatened Walsall slipped to a narrow defeat at play-off hopefuls Wigan. The Bradford-born striker netted with nine minutes remaining to settle a tight affair and condemn the out-of-form Saddlers to a sixth defeat in eight winless league matches.

25th October 2003 – Walsall 2-0 Wigan – First Division
Darren Wrack’s double earned Ray Graydon’s side an impressive victory over the high-flying Latics. The long-serving midfielder broke the deadlock on 50 minutes, when he slotted under Wigan stopper John Filan. Wrack then converted a Chris Baird cross 16 minutes later to seal a welcome win for the hosts.

2nd February 2001 Wigan 1-1 Walsall – Second Division
The Saddlers stayed top of the Second Division after Jorge Leitao’s stoppage-time header salvaged a precious point against promotion-rivals Wigan. The Latics, who would have leapfrogged Walsall to the summit with a win, went ahead on 35 minutes when Lee Ashcroft swept home. Visiting keeper Jimmy Walker kept Walsall in the game, making fine stops to deny Lee Ashcroft and Andy Liddell, before Leitao rescued a dramatic draw.

30th January 2001 – Walsall 2-1 Wigan – Football League Trophy
Ian Gaunt’s last-gasp goal booked Walsall’s place in the quarter-finals of the Football League Trophy. Gary Birch fired the Saddlers in front on the stroke of half-time, only for Gino Padula to level proceedings just seconds later. The tie remained level until injury time, when Gaunt struck a timely winner. Walsall were knocked out by Stoke in the next round.

Advertisement block