Skip to main content Skip to site footer


19 December 2016



19 December 2016

A thrilling draw in the final match of 2016...

The final Walsall U18 game of 2016 had every element of an exciting encounter - apart from the three points. 

Goals, big tackles and nail biting chances made this 3-3 draw with Fleetwood one to remember. 

The young Saddlers had to come from behind twice to eventually take the lead but were pegged back by a Fleetwood free kick. 

Three goals from Hayles-Docherty, Mason and Shorrock wasn't enough for all three points. Fleetwood took an early lead as they hit Walsall on the counter attack. 

Shorrock swung in a corner and Vann rose the highest but smashed his header against the bar. 

Fleetwood then broke from this and eventually the ball was cut back to Mooney in the area and he tucked it past Ganley. 

Hayles-Docherty then made it 8 goals in 8 games for himself as he was slipped in by Peters on the right and he slotted it home to get the scores level. 

As the first half was drawing to a close, Fleetwood won a penalty which was nearly saved by Ganley, but the shot from Mooney was too powerful to keep out. 

Half-time: Walsall 1-2 Fleetwood

Despite being a goal behind at half-time, the young Saddlers still had goals in them - And just after the hour mark they were level. 

Shorrock found a pocket of space and then knocked it into Mason. 

The substitutes first touch bounced up nicely for him to hit a volley which went post and in, leaving the keeper no chance. 

Four minutes later and the game was flipped on its head. 

Maddocks pinged a quick free kick out wide to Mason who returned the favour to Shorrock as he slipped the ball to him. 

Shorrock still had a bit to do but his quick feet inside the area allowed him a low left foot shot which found its way into the back of the net to give Walsall the lead. 

Then just a few minutes later, all of Walsall's hard work was undone by another Fleetwood set piece. 

Will Shorrock's namesake Lewis Shorrock stepped up to a free kick just outside the area and curled it in to level the game at 3-3. 

This started a Walsall onslaught in search of finding a late winner. Centre half Vann popped up in the area from a set piece again but his glancing header this time went just inches wide of the goal. 

Shorrock nearly doubled his tally to give Walsall the lead but his low shot across the keeper smashed against the post. 

The final chance of the game fell to Shorrock again who did everything right as he created a yard for himself in the area but he was unable to keep his shot down. 

Full-time: Walsall 3-3 Fleetwood 

Team: Ganley, Tonks, Cockerill-Mollett, Cela, Vann, Kendrick, Hayles-Docherty, Maddocks, Peters (Cairns 70'), Shorrock, Freemantle (Mason 46'). 

Subs not used: Fisher, Caswell, Candlin.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match