Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


15 August 2016

Cameron Peters netted the game's only goal...

A Cameron Peters goal on the stroke of half time sealed all three points in Walsall’s first home game of the season against Wrexham. 

The victory over the travelling Welsh side means it is back to back wins for Neil Woods’ young Saddlers following their impressive win over last season’s champions Wigan. 

The 1-0 score line didn’t perhaps reflect the performance put in by Walsall as they had a host of chances in the second half to put the result beyond doubt including a penalty miss and a goal line clearance. 

However the three points never looked in doubt as they looked comfortable with Wrexham posing no real threat. 

In the opening exchanges both sides struggled to get the ball down and play but as time went on Walsall got a foothold of the game and started creating chances.

A couple of last ditch blocks from Wrexham defenders kept the score at bay for the time being as Freemantle had a shot blocked after controlling well with his chest in the box, before Peters was denied a close range finish from a cut-back. 

Around 10 minutes before the break Walsall were dealt a blow as Cela had to come off for Maddocks after taking a knock. 

However, Peters was to make up for the loss of Cela as he put the Saddlers ahead just before the break. 

The young striker cut inside from the corner of the box onto his right foot before his low strike took a slight deflection to take it past Rigby in the Wrexham goal. 

Half-time: Walsall 1-0 Wrexham 

Walsall went into the break with a late but deserved lead but it was the second half where they had chances to kill the game off. 

O’Sullivan came on for Hayles-Docherty 10 minutes into the second half and he almost made an immediate impact. 

Some great play by Tonks down the right got him in a crossing position and he found O’Sullivan with a back post cross but his header was slightly misplaced as it went inches wide. 

Then cued a crazy couple of minutes around the 70 minute mark as it looked like Shorrock's game could be over as he received treatment for an injury. 

However, the quick footed midfielder returned to the action to jink his way into the area and win a penalty but his low strike from the spot was met with a strong hand from the away side’s keeper. 

With minutes remaining Peters could have doubled the lead and his tally as he bullied his way in behind to finish past the keeper but he could only watch on as the ball was cleared off the line. 

Full-time: Walsall 1-0 Wrexham 

Team: Ganky, Tonks, Cockerill-Mollett, Shorrock, Vann, Kendrick, Hayles-Docherty (O’Sullivan 54’), Cela (Maddocks 37’), Peters, Mason, Freemantle. 

Subs not used: Candlin, Cairns, Fisher.

Advertisement block