Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 September 2015

Club News


7 September 2015

Chris Gwillam's match report...

Hello, I am Chris and this is my second season of being a young reporter for Walsall.

Firstly, I would just like to say “Well Done” to Dean Smith on winning Manager of the Month.

A strong Walsall team went out onto the pitch as top of the league and the best Midlands club on points so far. Would it stay the same?

Walsall kicked off towards the 440 Shakers fans and time after time Bury counter attacked.

In the sixth minute a cross came into the Walsall 18 yard box where it was knocked into the path of Bury’s Jones (14) and he belted it past MacGillivray (13), a well earned goal flew into the Saddlers' net.

Ten minutes later Walsall were counter attacking when Fred Graham (referee) didn’t give anything for a blatant tackle on Walsall’s Tom Bradshaw (9).

As Walsall pushed on, the ball came over to Sam Mantom (8) who sliced the ball and made Rob Lainton, (Bury’s goalie), make a brilliant stop. From the corner, Saddlers’ James O’Connor (4) got a head to the ball on the far post but Lainton again made a tremendous save.

The first half was mostly Bury’s possession until the last few minutes when Walsall pressed forward but without any luck.

Even with two added minutes Walsall couldn’t equalise.

Half time score: Walsall 0–1 Bury

Bury kicked off towards their fans as Walsall attacked towards the Tile Choice Stand.

The 4,389 Saddlers fans watched their team dominate the first five minutes of the second half but some silly passing mistakes meant the team gave the ball away to Bury.

On the hour mark Bury made two substitutions - Leon Clarke (9) for Tom Pope (11) and Jacob Mellis (8) for Danny Pugh (22).

Within two minutes, the Saddlers made their first substitutions and brought on Kieron Morris (18) for Reece Flanagan (17) and Anthony Forde (12) off for Jordan Cook (21).

Even with these subs for Walsall careless play continued and the manager made his final substitution - Adam Chambers (7) for Milan Lalkovic (15) - in the 76th minute.

For the rest of the match both sides fought for the ball with Walsall scrapping for an equalising goal but Bury’s keeper didn’t let his team down.

Four minutes of added time was given but neither team used it well.

Man of the Match was awarded to Rico Henry (14), which I agreed with.

Final Score: Walsall 0–1 Bury

In the Press Conference, Dean Smith said that “Walsall had given everything."

On to the next game.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match