Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 February 2015

Match Reports


1 February 2015


THE SADDLERS stepped out for this Sunday evening clash determined to get back into winning ways at home in the League to cap a memorable week for the club.

It was Walsall who started brightly with Romaine Sawyers seeing his effort saved having had the sting took out of it before Jordan Cook was denied by a smart save from Stuart Nelson. The resulting corner was cleared off the line.

There was a booking for James Chambers for a foul before Richard O'Donnell had to be alert to clear well outside his area.

It was The Saddlers who were looking the most likely team and a low cross from Ben Purkiss found its way across to the far post to Jordan Cook who was denied by a Nelson block.

The visiting 'keeper was in the action again on 36 minutes when he was alert to a through-ball from Sawyers to deny Michael Cain.

The last minute of the half saw Adam Chambers' flick play in Bradshaw who was denied by the 'keeper who then saved well from Cook as he latched onto the rebound.

There was a change at the break as James O'Connor replaced James Chambers.

It was The Gills who created the first chance of the second period as Cody McDonald caused problems inside the area but was forced wide by O'Donnell as Andy Taylor cleared the loose ball across goal.

A chance for Bradshaw saw him drag his effort wide and in doing so he felt his hamstring and was promptly replaced by Ashley Grimes.

There was more bad news when The Gills managed to break the deadlock as a long ball forward saw Dack beat the offside before slotting home to make it 1-0 to the visitors. In the wake of the goal, The Saddlers survived a penalty appeal when O'Connor brought McDonald down but the referee was unimpressed.

The Saddlers were back on level terms when some indecision amongst the visitors' defence saw the ball fall to Ashley Grimes who netted his first of the season to make it 1-1.

With our tails up, there was a good chance for Sawyers who fired well wide of the target before a cross from Forde found Grimes who was denied by some brave defending.

The game petered out as the scoreline finished 1-1 on a chilly night at Banks's Stadium.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match