Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 February 2015

Match Reports


7 February 2015


THE SADDLERS stepped out at the Keepmoat Stadium determined to maintain our impressive away form.

It was the home side who started on the front-foot but their first raid ended with new boy, Uche Ikpeazu, crowded out inside the area.

The opening goal arrived with Walsall's first attack as a corner was flicked home at the near post by Jordan Cook to give us the lead within the opening three minutes.

The home side looked for an immediate response as Cook fouled Forrester to earn a booking and from the resulting free-kick, Andy Butler's header was well saved by Richard O'Donnell.

As the corner came in dangerously, Dean Furman's effort was cleared off the line by Ben Purkiss.

There was a let-off for the home side when Forde's strike took a deflection and was touched onto the crossbar by Stephen Bywater as the ball landed onto the roof of the net.

A raid on the right ended with Forrester's strike bravely blocked on the edge of the area.

A free-kick out wide for a foul on Purkiss is half-cleared to Grimes who gets some power on his strike, but it is blocked.

Some neat play between Grimes and Sawyers ended with the latter fouled in first half stoppage time. It gave Walsall a free-kick in a promising position, but Forde's effort sailed over as The Saddlers went in one goal to the good at the break.

The second period started with Ikpeazu using his strength to beat O'Connor and force a double block from O'Donnell who then gratefully grabbed the loose ball in front of goal.

The home side came out of the blocks with real purpose and O'Donnell was a busy man in the opening exchanges.

When O'Donnell was beaten by Ikpeazu, the woodwork came to our rescue as Purkiss cleared the loose ball.

Some excellent play from The Saddlers ended with a low strike from Forde on the edge of the area fly inches wide as he did well to make room for a shot on goal.

With 66 minutes on the clock, Jordy Hiwula came on for his debut to replace Grimes.

There was a booking for Andy Taylor as he halted a pacy break out wide by the home side.

A debut goal from Hiwula sees the youngster plant a header home to double the advantage with 20 minutes to go. It was a well-worked goal by The Saddlers in front of the travelling faithful.

Cain's excellent ball found Sawyers who in turn looked to play in Hiwula and as the home defence hesitated, his low effort was saved by Bywater.

There was a late change as former Rovers' youngster, James Baxendale, replaces Sawyers.

As we entered stoppage time, Baxendale did well to put a teasing ball across the face of goal, but no-one was on hand to profit.

The closing stages saw Reece Flanagan on for Cain.

The Saddlers chalked up a deserved three points with a 2-0 win here...

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match