Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 November 2014

Match Reports


18 November 2014


THE SADDLERS stepped out at the Greenhous Meadow for this FA Cup first round replay determined to make progress at the expense of our Shropshire hosts.

Having played out a 2-2 draw ten days ago, the race was on for a place in the second round and a trip to Preston North End.

There was a cagey opening to the game with neither side managing to stamp their authority on proceedings.

Some good pressure by Mathieu Manset sees a poor clearance from the 'keeper who manages to get away with it.

The best move of the game came in the 20th minute as a break on the right saw Sawyers and Cook link up to find Michael Cain whose cross was met by the head of Mathieu Manset who was off target with his effort.

A break out wide on the right by Jermaine Grandison saw The Shrews carve out a shooting chance shortly afterwards but James Collins was wide with his strike.

A free-kick for the home side saw Bobby Grant go for goal but Richard O'Donnell was able to gather at the second attempt.

Some neat build-up play from the hosts ended with Liam Lawrence hooking the ball over.

Right at the end of the opening period, James Chambers conceded a corner which was met with a free header by Nathaniel Knight-Percival who was just wide with his attempt.

It meant that it was goalless at the break.

The Saddlers made a purposeful start to the second half as Manset fed Cook whose low ball crept across the danger zone.

At the other end, Collins did well to cross for Akpa Akpro who headed wide under pressure from Andy Taylor.

It was The Shrews who took the lead with a strike from 25 yards by Liam Lawrence which sailed into the net on 53 minutes.

The first change for The Saddlers saw Mal Benning replace Forde on 57 minutes.

A sweeping Walsall move ended with Ben Purkiss crossing for Manset whose header was saved by the 'keeper without too many problems.

There was a second change as Ashley Grimes took the place of Manset before a third and final change on 72 minutes saw Sawyers replaced by James Baxendale.

An excellent ball from Cain picked out the run of Adam Chambers who found himself through only for his strike to be beaten away by the 'keeper.

A collision between Grimes and Mickey Demetriou saw both players in need of treatment. Grimes was booked as he got to his feet.

Shortly afterwards there was a straight red card for Adam Chambers after the referee deemed that the skipper went over the top with his challenge on Knight-Percival after the ball ran away from him.

A free-kick for a foul on Cook finds Purkiss in space and his cross appears to be handled but as the ball comes back to him, he curls just over.

A counter-attack from the home side comes to nothing as Walsall clear their lines.

The final whistle signalled a 1-0 defeat for The Saddlers and a first round exit from the FA Cup.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match