Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


3 May 2014


THE SADDLERS stepped out in the May sunshine for our final game of the season against Colchester United.

Having seen plenty of the ball in the opening exchanges, our only effort of note in the opening ten minutes came when an effort from James Baxendale was pushed around the post by Sam Walker in The U's' goal.

There was a good save from ever-present Richard O'Donnell in the 19th minute as he pushed out a curling low effort from Gavin Massey.

Kieron Morris, on his first start, cut inside from the left but his effort lacked the power to trouble Walker in the Colchester goal.

A neat move from The Saddlers ended with Sam Mantom making room for a powerful strike that was spilled by the 'keeper who managed to grab the loose ball under pressure.

The next attack saw Westcarr off target from a ball from Adam Chambers.

Neither defence was overly-stretched as it ended goalless at the break.

HALF-TIME: Walsall 0 Colchester United 0

The first action of the second period saw James Baxendale thread a ball through for Adam Chambers who was denied by a good save from Walker.

The visitors took the lead in the 54th minute with a freak goal as James Chambers' clearance hits Craig Eastmond and finds its way into the net.

A couple of long-range efforts from Sam Mantom crept wide of the target as The Saddlers looked for a response.

Just past the hour-mark, Romaine Sawyers was introduced in place of James McQuilkin.

There was a double change on 74 minutes as Morris and Baxendale were replaced by Nicky Featherstone and Amadou Bakayoko respectively.

Some more blocks from The U's saw Adam Chambers and then Andy Taylor were denied as they lined up efforts at goal following some positive build-up play.

Andy Butler was denied by some alert goalkeeping from Sam Walker as he joined the attack.

With the clock ticking down, Amadou Bakayoko used his strength to cause problems inside the area and as he got the ball past the 'keeper, there were players on the line to scramble clear.

In stoppage time Walsall won a free-kick in a good position which Andy Taylor, unlike in the away game, fired well over.

A late corner was scrambled clear, with Richard O'Donnell also attempting to get in a strike, but the match ended in defeat for The Saddlers.

FULL-TIME: Walsall 0 Colchester United 1

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match