Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 March 2014

Match Reports


8 March 2014


THERE was a red hot atmosphere inside the stadium for this local derby clash with Wolves.

It was The Saddlers who made the brighter start as Febian Brandy crossed invitingly before a neat move ended with Milan Lalkovic just failing to find Romaine Sawyers.

The opening action saw Walsall look lively as we snapped away at our visitors. Brandy almost caught out Ikeme as he took his time over a clearance, whilst there were half-chances at either end.

There was a fantastic save from Richard O'Donnell who clawed away a Michael Jacobs effort as Wolves started to put on a bit of pressure.

At the other end, Brandy's low effort landed just wide after a deflection took the sting out of it.

The visitors took the lead on the half-hour through Nouha Dicko.

A foul on Romaine Sawyers gave Walsall a free-kick in a promising position which Lalkovic dragged just wide and then Troy Hewitt went close with a great effort from outside the area that curled just the wrong side of the post with Ikeme scrambling across his goal.

As half-time approached, Andy Taylor was booked for a foul out wide before a foul on James Chambers at the other end gave The Saddlers a free-kick that Taylor whipped in only for Andy Butler to just miss out under pressure as Ikeme gathered.

There was a half-chance for Brandy in stoppage time that was easy for Ikeme as he poked the ball goalwards after a mazy run.

HALF-TIME: Walsall 0 Wolves 1

The first chance of the second period goes to The Saddlers as Nicky Featherstone fires straight at Ikeme before the visitors double their lead as Dicko finds the net from close range on 48 minutes after a cross hits the woodwork and bounces out to him.

There was a good chance for The Saddlers on the hour when a neat move ended with Sawyers' cross finding the head of Brandy who fails to direct the ball home.

With 65 minutes on the clock, James Baxendale replaced Lalkovic.

A foul by Andy Taylor gave Wolves a free-kick in a promising position in the 66th minute which Bakary Sako curled home.

In the wake of the goal, Craig Westcarr replaced Brandy.

The third and final Walsall change saw Michael Ngoo replace Troy Hewitt with 15 minutes to go.

A positive run from Ngoo ends with his low strike saved by Ikeme.

A foul from behind on Sawyers gave Walsall a free-kick on the edge of the area that was smashed into the defensive wall by Westcarr.

It was to be the last action as the full-time whistle signalled defeat for The Saddlers.

FULL-TIME: Walsall 0 Wolves 3

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match