Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 August 2014

Match Reports


12 August 2014


THE SADDLERS stepped out at Roots Hall determined to make progress into the next round of the Capital One Cup.

The opening quarter-of-an-hour saw neither 'keeper seriously tested with the home side having a couple of wayward efforts and Ashley Grimes booked for a foul on Ben Coker.

It was Walsall who took the lead in the 25th minute when Andy Taylor crossed invitingly from the left and Mal Benning got away from his marker to guide the ball home off the underside of the crossbar.

The Saddlers had the ball in the net again on 37 minutes only for Bradshaw's follow-up to be ruled out after Baxendale's low strike was parried by the 'keeper.

As half-time approached, the home side launched a couple of threatening raids but Walsall stood firm.

There was drama right on the stroke of half-time as Paul Downing committed a foul right on the edge of the area. He was duly booked as the resulting free-kick was struck into the defensive wall who, once more, did their job to deny Jack Payne.

The second period started with both teams having half-chances before a change in the 55th minute saw Billy Clifford replace Baxendale.

A low strike from Payne was well gathered by O'Donnell as the home side looked to up the pressure in search of a leveller.

Then there was an opening for Coulthirst who dragged his attempt wide of the target from a good position.

Another free-kick in a good position for the home side was smashed into the back of the net by Ryan Leonard to give O'Donnell no chance and make it 1-1.

With the home side creating the better of the chances, The Saddlers had a chance of our own on 80 minutes when Clifford's low strike took a wicked deflection as the 'keeper did well to push the ball out.

As the clock ticked down, The Saddlers regained the lead when Kieron Morris fired home from distance. It was a great strike by the youngster.

The Saddlers being made to work hard here.  A late counter from Bradshaw saw him fire over as we ran out 2-1 winners to make Capital One Cup progress.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match