Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 April 2014


THERE was wall-to-wall sunshine for this Good Friday clash at Carlisle.

The Saddlers started in lively fashion with Romaine Sawyers and Febian Brandy heavily involved in the action. An early corner was cleared as far as Sam Mantom who dragged his effort just inches wide.

After Sawyers was denied, the home side started to get into their stride as O'Donnell was forced to save well on 11 minutes but he was beaten a couple of minutes later when Liam Noble curled the ball onto the base of the post and the ball hit the back of the goalkeeper before finding its way over the line.

There was a booking for Sam Mantom for a trip just inside the Carlisle half after a Walsall break broke down.

The home side had the bit between their teeth with vital points at stake as they looked to move out of the relegation zone.

There was a great chance for Andy Butler as he won a towering header from a free-kick on the left, but the 'keeper saved well.

As half-time approached, a foul on Brandy out wide saw The Saddlers win a free-kick which Andy Taylor curled in invitingly  but the home side were able to scramble away.

The last action of the half saw Brandy twist and turn only for his low strike to be dragged well wide of the target.

HALF-TIME: Carlisle United 1 Walsall 0

Lively start to the second period for Walsall as Sawyers went on the attack straight away and as he rounded the 'keeper, his ball across was scrambled clear. Then Sawyers hit a snap shot just over before Berrett had a free-kick for the home side that went just wide.

There were a couple of good chances for Walsall as firstly Mantom's ball split the home defence for Sawyers whose low strike well saved. Then a neat passage of play ended with James Baxendale firing low and wide.

Another shooting chance for Brandy saw the 'keeper save.

With Michael Ngoo on for Baxendale, there was a real let-off for the home side as Ngoo did well only to see his strike blocked before Mantom lashed the rebound against the post and then McQuilkin fired just over as the ball came out to him.

The Cumbrians had a couple of half-chances  but Walsall were the better side.

There was a chance for Noble who rattled the woodwork but The Saddlers got back onto level terms on 82 minutes when a corner from Kieron Morris was headed back across goal by Ngoo and the ball found its way into the net to make it 1-1.

Bakayoko came on for Brandy in the closing stages as Walsall searched for a winning goal.

As the clock ticked down, Ngoo and Morris linked up well for the latter to see his strike blocked before Sawyers fired over.

In the end both sides had to settle for a share of the spoils.

FULL-TIME: Carlisle United 1 Walsall 1

Advertisement block