Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


22 October 2013


THE SADDLERS locked horns with an in-form Swindon Town on a wet night in Wiltshire.

Walsall started with some neat passing to force an early corner from Ashley Hemmings' dangerous cross. The home side were able to clear the danger.

It was The Saddlers who were seeing more of the early ball without either 'keeper being called into action in the opening ten minutes.

The first foray forward for the hosts saw Nile Ranger show skill as Andy Taylor conceded a corner which was cleared from in front of goal by Craig Westcarr.

The Saddlers took the lead when Mantom forced a corner and as the ball was half-cleared, it found its way to Hemmings who rifled the ball home to give the 'keeper no chance.

In the wake of the goal, Walsall had another half-chance but the 'keeper saved. Then Hemmings was denied with another smart stop as Walsall continues to apply the pressure.

There was a booking for Mantom on the half-hour mark for a foul which gave the hosts a free-kick in a promising position which was deflected wide.

The home defence being kept on their toes by an energetic and lively Saddlers as half-time approaches.

There was another save from Wes Foderingham as Mantom and Baxendale linked up well for the latter to get in a strike from the right of the area.

The half ended with Walsall well on top and deserving of our lead.

HALF-TIME: Swindon Town 0 Walsall 1

Just minutes into the second period, Westcarr and Mantom link up well inside the area and after seeing his first effort blocked by the 'keeper, Mantom was alert to slot home the rebound and make it 2-0.

Moments later an overhead kick from Westcarr crept just wide of the mark.

A rare chance for Swindon saw Nile Ranger head over from a good position following a corner.

Another neat move from Walsall on the left saw Hemmings, Westcarr and Mantom link up as Nicky Featherstone placed his effort and produced an excellent save from Foderingham.

There were further good chances for The Saddlers as Hemmings fired inches wide and then Mantom rattled the crossbar from Julian Gray's cross after he replaced Baxendale on 72 minutes.

At the other end, O'Donnell blocked well from Ryan Mason before there was a booking for Adam Chambers for a foul.

With 78 minutes on the clock, Hemmings slotted home to make it 3-0 on a great night for Walsall as we pressed our hosts to win the ball.

Some hesitation by O'Donnell saw Ranger head home from close range to make it 3-1.

In the wake of the goal, Milan Lalkovic replaced Westcarr. With time running out, Troy Hewitt replaced Hemmings.

In stoppage time, O'Donnell did well to deny Ranger at point-blank range as the rebound was somehow dragged wide.

Against a side who were previously unbeaten at home, it was an excellent display from The Saddlers that fully deserved maximum points.

FULL-TIME: Swindon Town 1 Walsall 3

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match