Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 October 2013

Match Reports


12 October 2013


THE SADDLERS arrived at Colchester looking for a change of fortune at this venue after four previous defeats.

It was a bright start by Walsall as Craig Westcarr forced a corner straight from the kick-off and then James Baxendale had an effort that was pushed out by the 'keeper.

Another foray forward on five minutes saw Westcarr drag wide.

The U's went ahead with their first effort on goal when Freddie Sears was given too much time and space to line up a shot from the edge of the area and it flew beyond Richard O'Donnell.

The Saddlers looking to get back into it with some neat play, but unable to break through the home rear-guard.

A stinging strike from James Baxendale hit the crossbar as the rebound was scrambled clear. The resulting corner deflected just wide from an Andy Butler header at the far post. The next raid saw another Butler header cause problems.

At the other end, Jabo Ibehre did well to get away only to drag the ball agonisingly wide. Then Alex Gilbey puts a low ball across the face of goal which evades everyone.

A neat move from the back ended with Westcarr teeing up Mantom whose strike was blocked as The Saddlers posed a few questions to the home side as the half went on.

The half ended with Walsall on top and an effort from distance by Mantom from distance struck the outside of the post. It was unlucky for The Saddlers as we went in at the break 1-0 down.

HALF-TIME: Colchester United 1 Walsall 0

Some good early possession from The Saddlers saw Hemmings and Westcarr combine for the latter to cross for Adam Chambers to head straight at the 'keeper.

O'Donnell alert to gather at the feet of Ibehre after Mantom lost the ball in the middle.

Hemmings did well on the left and his cross had to be touched away from Westcarr by the 'keeper.

Walsall having to play a patient game as we see plenty of the ball without finding the killer pass.

There was a double change with 20 minutes to go as Romaine Sawyers replaced Featherstone and Julian Gray came on for his first outing since returning to the club in place of Baxendale.

Paul Downing was booked for a foul shortly afterwards.

A high free-kick from Hemmings headed wide by Adam Chambers who found himself in space.

Final change for Walsall sees Troy Hewitt replace Hemmings.

The Saddlers forced a series of corners as the home side held on for dear life and got men behind the ball. Walsall just couldn't find a way through as Butler had a header saved and Gray fired over in another raid.

In stoppage time, a free-kick 25 yards out for a foul on Hewitt saw Andy Taylor step up and with virtually the last kick of the game he planted the ball home to give us s share of the spoils.

FULL-TIME: Colchester United 1 Walsall 1

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match