Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


9 November 2013

Match Reports


9 November 2013


THE SADDLERS' FA Cup campaign began for another year with a rare home draw, our first in five years, as Shrewsbury Town arrive at Banks's Stadium.

Having observed a minute's silence for Remembrance Day, the match kicked off with The Saddlers seeing plenty of the early ball and forcing a couple of corners in the opening couple of minutes.

Then a Sam Mantom ball delivered invitingly into the area but cleared as The Saddlers started at a good tempo.

A long ball forward in the 14th minute saw a poor header back by Winfield as Craig Westcarr nips in only to be denied by an alert block from the 'keeper.

Walsall are pressing well and pushing our visitors back without creating too many clear-cut chances.

The visitors' first effort saw Nicky Wroe fire wide from distance.

A burst into the area from Milan Lalkovic saw the 'keeper block well and as the rebound fell to Lalkovic, he tried to pull the ball back to Westcarr but The Shrews had numbers back to clear.

The Saddlers took a deserved lead on 29 minutes when a crossfield ball picked out Andy Taylor on the left and his cross was forced home by Craig Westcarr to make it 1-0.

In the wake of the goal, a neat move just inside the area saw Westcarr force a corner that came to nothing as the 'keeper claimed.

As half-time approached, Sawyers threaded through Westcarr who was denied by another block from the 'keeper.

HALF-TIME: Walsall 1 Shrewsbury Town 0

The Saddlers started the second period well, playing some neat,sharp football and the second goal that we had threatened finally came just before the hour when Westcarr was on hand to despatch from close range after an initial strike from Lalkovic was pushed out by the 'keeper.

Shortly after the goal, Westcarr was denied by another block from the 'keeper as The Shrews scrambled clear the resulting corner.

A strike from James Chambers was pushed over by the 'keeper with Walsall in command.

The Saddlers made it 3-0 when Sawyers fired home from distance in the 73rd minute.

The first change for Walsall came on 80 minutes when Mal Benning replaced Andy Taylor just after O'Donnell saved well as The Saddlers' defence switched off.

Double change with five minutes to go as Ben Purkiss replaced James Chambers and Milan Lalkovic made way for Ashley Hemmings.

The Saddlers cruised into the second round as the clock ticked down. It was an impressive performance from everyone involved.

FULL-TIME: Walsall 3 Shrewsbury Town 0

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match