Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


23 November 2013

Match Reports


23 November 2013


THE SADDLERS stepped out a Crawley Town looking to build on our previous two impressive performances.

With an unchanged line-up, Walsall started the game by attempting to play some neat football in an otherwise cagey opening.

Chances few and far between at either end in the opening ten minutes. There were appeals for a penalty from the home side as Jamie Proctor went down under the challenge of Paul Downing, but the referee waved them away.

On 14 minutes, Craig Westcarr created an opening but his strike lacked the necessary power to trouble the 'keeper.

With half-an -hour on the clock, a foul by James Chambers  gave the home side a free-kick in a dangerous position but the defensive wall did its job to deny Adams.

A neat move by Walsall saw Westcarr link with Baxendale who forced a corner that was not properly cleared and as the ball fell out to Andy Taylor, his curling effort was spilled by the 'keeper who managed to grab at second attempt.

The Saddlers looking to get hold of the game as the first half neared its conclusion.

The last action of the half saw O'Donnell down well to hold on to a low strike from Billy Clarke as the half ended goalless.

HALF-TIME: Crawley Town 0 Walsall 0

There was an early chance for Walsall when Romaine Sawyers threaded through Westcarr whose strike his the inside of the post and rebounded away.

The Saddlers certainly looking more purposeful.

A foul by Andy Taylor on Nicky Adams out wide earns him a yellow card as the free-kick is cleared by Andy Butler.

At the other end. a Walsall free-kick out wide from Baxendale was half-cleared.

With 65 minutes on the clock, Taylor puts a ball in which the 'keeper drops but Westcarr unable to capitalise upon in front of goal.

Moments later, Lalkovic wins back possession before cutting in from the left and pulling ball back to Westcarr who fired over from a good position. Then a break on right sees ball find its way to Lalkovic who is off target.

There was a chance for Crawley when Jamie Proctor headed wide from a good position as the game started to open up. In the next raid, Proctor hit a low strike that O'Donnell gathered.

The first substitution sees Ashley Hemmings replace James Baxendale.

A strike from outside the area by Lalkovic sees the ball fly over whilst at the other end, Gary Alexander fires over.

At the other end, a double save from Jones saw him keep out Hemmings' effort before blocking from Westcarr who followed up.

There was a late double change as Troy Hewitt and Julian Gray replaced Romaine Sawyers and Milan Lalkovic.

In the end it finished goalless.

FULL-TIME: Crawley Town 0 Walsall 0

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match