Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon Town v Walsall

9 March 2013

Match Reports

Swindon Town v Walsall

9 March 2013

Honours even...

THE SADDLERS stepped out at the County Ground resplendent in all yellow for this clash with Swindon Town.

There was a  scrappy opening with passes going astray by either side.

With seven minutes on the clock, Jamie Paterson did really well on the left and his cross found Febian Brandy at the far post but he headed wide from a good position.

Moments later another break, this time by Grigg, ended with the ball just getting away from Paterson inside the area.

It was the home side who took the lead when a cross from the right was only half-cleared to Andy Williams whose strike hit Andy Butler and the ball looped up over Aaron McCarey and into the net.

A long range drive from Tommy Miller was pushed out by McCarey as The Robins started to get a hold of the game.

The Saddlers pumped a free-kick into the area which the 'keeper got a fist to under pressure as Brandy dragged the loose ball wide of the target.

A deep cross from the left caught the Swindon 'keeper in no man's land as Brandy won a corner. There were signs that the home defence were struggling under pressure and from the resulting corner, Brandy was felled as he went to shoot for a penalty. 

There was a delay as Brandy received treatment as Grigg waited to take the spot-kick. Thankfully Brandy was able to continue as Grigg did what he has become known to do, and made it 1-1.

It was developing into an open game with both sides looking to get on the ball and pass it around.

As the half came to a close, Brandy went on a positive run to feed Westcarr who fired wide.

There was a booking for Andy Taylor as Swindon won a free-kick out wide that was cleared without too many problems.

HALF-TIME: Swindon Town 1 Walsall 1

The early action of the second half saw Grigg lift the ball just wide as he broke into the area.

Swindon went close when Darren Ward headed inches wide from a corner in the 52nd minute. Then another effort by The Robins fizzed wide.

With the bit between their teeth, the home side went close as Alan McCormack dipped an effort just over.

A break by Grigg saw him get in between the Swindon rear-guard only to fire wide.

Andy Butler saw yellow for a robust challenge out wide. The resulting free-kick was eventually cleared to safety.

Some desperate defending by Swindon saw them clear Sam Mantom's cross as Grigg looked like being held back. Then as the ball came back in, Ward threw himself in front of a strike from Paterson.

The first Walsall change came on 78 minutes when Nicky Featherstone replaced Craig Westcarr.

With ten minutes to go, the home side snatched the lead with a poor goal as Adam Rooney's low strike was pushed into the danger zone by McCarey and Simon Ferry was on hand to capitalise on the mistake to make it 2-1.

The second change came on 84 minutes when Ashley Hemmings replaced Febian Brandy.

There was a late let-off for The Robins when the ball spun up high inside the area and came off the crossbar to Paterson who fired over from close range.

With the clock ticking down, a break on the left by Ashley Hemmings saw him cross perfectly for Paterson to head home and make it 2-2.

FULL-TIME: Swindon Town 2 Walsall 2

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match