Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 February 2013

The latest Walsall Senior Cup semi-final action direct from Banks's Stadium...

THE SADDLERS stepped out on a clear and chilly night at Banks's Stadium for this Walsall Senior Cup semi-final clash against Sutton Coldfield Town.

The opening exchanges were cagey with neither side creating any chances of note, although Jamie Sheldon did fire over from distance for the visitors.

Aaron Williams headed over for Walsall before Luke Chapman was off target for Sutton Coldfield, who were backed by a vocal group of supporters complete with drum.

A long ball pumped forward in the 18th minute set Williams off in chase but he drilled his effort wide.

Some neat skill and a pacy burst from Ashley Hemmings saw him progress unceremoniously halted to win a free-kick in a promising position which Hemmings took short to James Baxendale whose inviting low cross found its way over to Kieron Morris on the far side and his low strike was blocked in front of goal.

There were signs that Walsall were starting to get a hold of the game as the first half went on.

A good ball into the danger zone by Nicky Featherstone picked out Dean Holden in space but he was denied by a block from Lee Evans in the Sutton Coldfield goal.

Matt Preston spoken to by the referee for a push on Kristian Ramsay-Dickson and the resulting free-kick from Sheldon was delivered high into the box, just evading former Saddler, Daryl Taylor.

HALF-TIME: Walsall 0 Sutton Coldfield Town 0

The early action in the second period saw David Grof gather ahead of Ramsay-Dickson.

Moments later a neat break by the visitors saw Sheldon's strike hit the underside of the bar and bounce away to safety as the Sutton Coldfield drum was now joined by a trumpet.

Conditions becoming increasingly difficult as Ben George's cross saw Williams' effort blocked and then scrambled clear by the visitors' rear-guard.

A powerful run by Williams on the left ended with his cross skimming the crossbar on its way out for a goal-kick.

There was a change by The Saddlers on 68 minutes when James Baxendale was replaced by Reece Flanagan.

A brave block denied Bowerman with just over ten minutes to go. Then Hemmings set up Holden who placed his effort wide.

On 80 minutes youth teamer, Jake Heath replaced Featherstone.

The Saddlers won a free-kick in a promising position shortly afterwards as Heath curled the ball just wide of the mark.

Walsall took the lead with just four minutes to go when the ball fell to Kieron Morris whose low strike found its way past the 'keeper to make it 1-0.

Grof did well to take the ball off the toes of a marauding Ramsay-Dickson.

In the final minute, Morris went close with a low effort as The Saddlers looked to seal the tie.

The final whistle sounded to confirm Walsall's passage into the Walsall Senior Cup Final in front of a crowd of 186 on a decidedly chilly night at Banks's Stadium.

FULL-TIME: Walsall 1 Sutton Coldfield Town 0

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match