Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 February 2013

Club News


26 February 2013

The latest action direct from Brunton Park...

THE SADDLERS were back on the road for the second game in a row as we locked horns with Carlisle United.

Within the opening three minutes Walsall were given a penalty when Jamie Paterson played a neat ball over to Febian Brandy on the far side and he touched it inside to James Chambers who was brought crashing down by the 'keeper for a penalty. Will Grigg stepped up and made no mistake for 1-0.

A free-kick in a good position was delivered into the danger zone by Andy Taylor where Brandy's header was blocked. The next raid saw a positive run by Jamie Paterson end with his low strike gathered by Mark Gillespie.

It was a bright start by Walsall on a big pitch.

On the quarter-hour, Grigg beat the offside trap as he chased a through-ball but the 'keeper was alert to gather at his feet.

A counter-attack from The Saddlers saw Brandy feed Westcarr on the left and his ball across the face of goal was just missed by Will Grigg.

With 22 minutes on the clock, Liam Noble tried his luck from distance as Aaron McCarey blocked his effort as the home side started to get the bit between their teeth having been second best so far.

Another attempt from distance, this time from Rory Loy, flew wide of the target.

Some more skilful play by Febian Brandy saw him create an opening for Sam Mantom whose powerful drive was beaten away by the 'keeper.

HALF-TIME: Carlisle United 0 Walsall 1

The first real action of the second period saw Westcarr break away from his marker and get in a shot that was deflected away from goal.

A raid by the home side ended with a well-timed tackle from Paul Downing that saw Walsall go on the attack only for Grigg to dip his effort over.

Just past the hour, McCarey saved well as a cross from the right found the head of Lee Miller.

The Saddlers doubled the advantage when Brandy caused problems and the ball found its way to Grigg who turned sharply and fired home to make it 2-0.

A cross from the left was spilled by McCarey but Downing was on hand to clear off the line from Mark Beck.

Mantom's drive from distance flew over as the home side made a number of substitutions as they looked to get into the game.

With ten minutes to go, James Chambers gingerly left the field to be replaced by Dean Holden.

As the clock ticked down, more fine play by Brandy saw the home defence back off and his effort was blocked for Grigg to be denied the first time but the ball came back out to him and he made no mistake to complete his hat-trick.

There was a double change in the final minute as Nicky Featherstone replaced Westcarr and James Baxendale came in for Brandy, who received a standing ovation from the home fans as he left the field.

It was an excellent evening for The Saddlers and the loyal travelling contingent.

FULL-TIME: Carlisle United 0 Walsall 3

WALSALL: McCarey, A. Taylor, Butler, Downing, J. Chambers, Paterson, Brandy, A. Chambers, Mantom, Westcarr, Grigg. Subs: Grof, Holden, Featherstone, Hemmings, Bowerman, Benning, Baxendale.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match