Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 December 2013


THERE was an earlier than usual kick-off for this local derby clash against The Shrews.

The swirling wind played its part in a nervy moment for Richard O'Donnell early on and then moments later the 'keeper was at his best to deny the home side as Tom Eaves saw his effort blocked after two players broke the offiside trap.

Another home raid ended with Gozie Ugwu firing into the side-netting, whilst at the other end, an opening for Craig Westcarr saw his effort saved.

A free-kick out wide on the right saw Andy Taylor deliver to the far post where Andy Butler's towering header flew over.

There was a low strike from Paul Parry that was well-watched by Richard O'Donnell, but generally The Saddlers were starting to get a grip on proceedings as the half went on.

A neat one-two just inside the area saw an effort from Romaine Sawyers well saved by the 'keeper. Sawyers had seen a couple of intelligent through-balls unlock the home defence prior to that but The Saddlers were unable to profit.

Some good play by Lalkovic saw him feed Wesrcarr whose inviting low cross into the danger zone was scrambled clear. Then a free-kick from distance by Andy Taylor curled just inches wide of the target.

A good ball down the right from Ben Purkiss set Mantom away but his cross was intercepted by the 'keeper who was alert to the danger.

HALF-TIME: Shrewsbury Town 0 Walsall 0

Good chance early in the second period as Sawyers is denied in front of goal as the follow-up from Westcarr is saved.

The Saddlers took the lead in the 53rd minute when some good play on the left ended with Lalkovic receiving the ball and being played onside as he took the ball round the 'keeper and slotted home.

There was a real let-off for Walsall when Tom Eaves somehow missed right in front of goal.

The first Saddlers' change saw Ashley Hemmings replace Lalkovic on 73 minutes.

There was a yellow card for Andy Butler before a corner came in dangerously and was cleared from right in front of goal by Mantom.

At the other end, a Walsall free-kick was half-cleared as far as Mantom whose effort was beaten away and the rebound cleared ahead of Sawyers.

Westcarr carved open a chance for himself in stoppage time which he dragged wide as Walsall claimed a deserved three points.

FULL-TIME: Shrewsbury Town 0 Walsall 1

Advertisement block