Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 April 2013

Club News


20 April 2013

The latest action direct from a sunny Banks's Stadium...

THE SUN was shining for our final home League game of the season as we welcome already-relegated Bury.

After a period of applause for Saddlers' stalwart, Bill 'Chopper' Guttridge, the action got underway.

A foul by Paul Downing in the second minute presented the visitors with a free-kick in a good position on the edge of the area but the defensive wall did its job.

There was a half-chance for Ashley Eastham in the eighth minute when he latched onto a corner at the near post but put his effort just wide.

Some hesitation between Dean Holden and Sam Johnstone on 11 minutes saw Jonson Clarke-Harris head onto the post to give The Saddlers a wake-up call.

With Paul Downing off the field receiving treatment, another Bury raid saw the Walsall back-line called into action as Johnstone eventually saved a low drive from Valery Mezague. At the other end, a cross from the right found Febian Brandy whose effort was blocked.

The opening goal arrived on 22 minutes when some good play on the right between Jamie Paterson and James Baxendale ended with the ball finding its way to Brandy who fired home with a low strike to make it 1-0.

Some link-up play between Brandy and Will Grigg saw the latter get in a strike that Cameron Belford did well to save.

The Saddlers ahead at the break but not reaching the standards that we have set ourselves in this second half of the season.

HALF-TIME: Walsall 1 Bury 0

A neat early move by The Saddlers saw Grigg feed Paterson whose early effort failed to catch out Belford.

With 57 minutes on the clock, Paterson was replaced by Ashley Hemmings.

There was a chance for the visitors when David Worrall's effort was pushed out by Johnstone into the path of Eastham who blazed over from a good position.

Ben Purkiss fed the ball into Dean Holden who set up Baxendale for a strike that landed well wide of the target.

An opening for Nick Ajose saw him break the offside trap only to drag his effort wide as Johnstone narrowed the angle.

A second change on 68 minutes saw Baxendale replaced by Craig Westcarr.

With just over ten minutes to go, Brandy was replaced by Romaine Sawyers as The Shakers proved to be tough and resolute opponents who stuck to their task well.

Johnstone came a long way out of his area to deny Bury with a challenge as he nicked the ball off the toe of Clarke-Harris.

The final minute saw a free-kick cannoned against the crossbar from the visitors as Efe Sodje, one of a number of players who looked offside, bundled home to make it 1-1.

There was a chance for The Saddlers straight away when a corner caused problems and as Grigg had his shirt pulled, his effort flew just over.

The game ended in a draw but with Swindon well in front in their game, our quest for the play-offs finally came to a brave end.

FULL-TIME: Walsall 1 Bury 1

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match