Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


13 April 2013

Club News


13 April 2013

The latest action from Glanford Park...

THE SADDLERS stepped out at a bright but windy Glanford Park for this clash which has a bearing at both ends of the table.

Within the opening seconds, the home side had a strike on goal through Jimmy Ryan that Sam Johnstone saved well.

It was a lively opening from The Iron and Mark Duffy went close with a dipping effort from distance.

Walsall's first raid came in the seventh minute as Febian Brandy led the charge before finding Will Grigg who set up Sam Mantom for a strike that was blocked. As the ball stayed alive, Brandy fired just wide.

Chances few and far between at either end. Scunthorpe have lost some of their earlier momentum but Duffy brought a good save from Johnstone who dived low to his left to push out his strike.

A free-kick in the 35th minute was delivered to the far post where Paul Reid met the ball with a towering header only for Johnstone to spread himself well to block and then gather the loose ball.

Moments later The Saddlers had a free-kick out wide of our own which Westcarr put in low as Mantom failed to make a proper connection and the opportunity was lost.

There was a chance for the home side as Matt Godden found space only to lift the ball over the crossbar.

HALF-TIME: Scunthorpe United 0 Walsall 0

The Saddlers took the lead on 54 minutes when Westcarr did well out on the right and he found Grigg who was back on the goal trail to fire home and make it 1-0.

A cross into the danger zone saw Godden get his head to the ball but it lacked the power to trouble former Iron loanee Johnstone.

On 64 minutes Paterson flashed an effort wide following good work from Mantom as the home side made a double change.

Mike Grella dragged an effort wide from a good position after linking up with Eddie Nolan to cause problems on the Walsall right.

A foul on Akpo Sodje gave The Iron a free-kick on 72 minutes which the home side delivered invitingly only for the ball to evade everyone.

The home side pushing for an equaliser but Walsall resolute and working hard as a unit once more.

With five minutes to go, Westcarr was replaced by James Baxendale.

A free-kick out wide curled just over by Duffy.

The home side equalised with just a couple of minutes to go when some good play on the right saw the ball delivered from the by-line to Niall Canavan who headed home for 1-1.

The Saddlers hit back as Paterson was denied and then when the resulting corner came in, Brandy saw the 'keeper make an important block.

It was a fraught finale with both sides going for it but honours ended even as the referee blew his whistle.

FULL-TIME: Scunthorpe United 1 Walsall 1

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match